Bursitis and Children: How Serious?

< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Bursitis and Children: How Serious?
Created On: 09/23/2009 10:27 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

09/25/2009 11:11 AM

Author Icon
Notyetagolfpro

Melissa,Sorry to hear about your brother.   I wrestled all through high school and had a similar problem a number of times on my right knee.   (In wrestling you spend a good deal of time on your knees; almost all wrestlers wear kneepads for this reason.    You just don't want to spend ANY time on your back... but I digress)   The way this was treated (it was also called "water on the knee" was with a pill that helped reabsorb the fluid, an analgesic for pain, and some rest- if I could get 3 days break I was fine.    Could still do conditioning/drills during that time - it was the actual physical pressure on the knee that had to be avoided as it was super painful and made it worse.    Hope this helps your brother; I'm sure he's anxious to get back out there!
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 09/23/2009 10:27 AM

Author Icon
MelissaDAmico

My younger brother (middle-schooler) was recently injured in a football game, hurting his knee. After having it looked over by a trainer, and later at the doctors, he was said to be fine. However, a week or so following the injury, his knee appeared to be swollen. After looking it over, I realized that his knee was not actually swolled, but filled with water or some kind of liquid. I urged my parents to take him back to the doctors, and as it turns out, he has bursitis. They want to confirm this, so they have taken X-Rays of his knee and he will also be going in for an MRI this week.  Has anyone has this problem as a child? I would be interested to hear if it could cause any permenant damage in children? Or if there are other conditions that are similar to bursitis that we should be aware of while going through this diagnosis process? Thank you! 
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

3D Knee Animation
3D Animation: Total Knee Joint Replacement Surgery
This 3D medical animation shows a total knee joint replacement surgery ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper

Dr. Robert Klapper:

Preventing Knee Surgery
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy