< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Choosing the right pointe shoes to prevent injury
Created On: 08/06/2009 10:46 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

03/19/2014 02:20 PM

Author Icon
andy.peloquin

I have tried the Shape-Up shoes, and they can help to reduce the stress on your knees--given time.

Initially, you'll feel the pain a lot more clearly, and that has to do with the fact that your knees aren't used to walking that way. It can be kind of painful at first, but eventually you'll get accustomed to the gliding stride of the shoes.

Get ready for a tough calf workout for a few days as you break the shoes in.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 01/12/2010 11:46 AM

Author Icon
RunnersHigh

Has anybody tried the Shape-Up shoes by Sketchers? They should reduce knee stress the company claims.

image source: http://blog.planetshoes.com/wordpress/?tag=skechers-shape-ups

01/12/2010 09:54 AM

Author Icon
Nuboston

Thanks for this post. I always think twice about doing anything that might be related to my knees, since I know that I have a weakness that shows up in unexpected times. Once I was at an international dance learning day, and as I started trying different dances, the turn came to tinikling dancing from the Philippines. Having my legs go up and down at a fast tempo between two sticks, while trying to avoid getting them caught between the clapping sticks was not fun for my knees.

08/06/2009 10:46 AM

Author Icon
MelissaDAmico

If you are a ballet dancer, you most likely know that protecting your feet from injury is a crucial element to success in dance. I have recently read an article, "How to Prevent Knee Injuries in Ballet Shoes and Pointe Shoes" and thought it was a great topic to share in the forums. The article, written by Dianne M. Buxton discusses the potential for significant knee injury caused by a weak turnout. Buxton writes, "If our posture is incorrect, in the low back and core area, there is risk to the knee joint. Crunched and chronically tense rotator (turnout) muscles, quads (thigh muscles), hamstrings (back of thigh muscles), result from an incorrect pelvic position. This leads to nearly all the other muscles involved in ballet technique, ballet positions and ballet movements, being held in tense positions, instead of being fluid." She goes on to discuss the importance of foot strength, prevention of incorrect pronation and the need for shoes that fit correctly. Take a look at the article here: http://ezinearticles.com/?How-...e-Shoes&id=1783393

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Knee Pain Relief
Is chronic knee pain keeping you from enjoying your favorite activities? ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper

Dr. Robert Klapper:

Preventing Knee Surgery
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy