Topic Title: patellofemoral syndrome
Created On: 05/12/2013 02:30 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

11/18/2013 01:38 AM

Author Icon
alex.blajevski

Hi Imani,

First of all it is important to determine what caused or contributed to you getting PFS (patellofemoral syndrome). There are a number of different potential causes such as flat feet, poor footwear, tight muscles in your legs, muscle imbalance or a sudden increase in training intensity. Or you may have a combination of these. Then you need to start addressing those.

If you are not sure what may be causing your knee pain, first thing I would do is get yourself a comfortable pair of sports shoes with good arch support and try to use those whenever you are up on your feet for any length of time.

Ultimately you need to see a qualified physiotherapist or sports physician to do a full assessment. There is usually a bunch of exercises that I give for this problem mostly focusing on strengthening hip and inner thigh muscles. But these exercises need to be tailored individually.

What attracted my attention recently is that a very high proportion of people with patellofemoral syndrome have very tight hamstrings. So stretching those out gradually may help. I have just written an article on this. Have a look here. It may shed some light on your knee pain.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 05/12/2013 02:30 AM

Author Icon
imani

so i have patellofemoral syndrome in mostly my left leg, and often my leg feels like it has less life that what it used to have. It gets the pins and needles feeling a A LOT and it is noticeably weaker than my right leg (I have to put extra force in moving it than i do my right leg, but I still walk regularly. people on the outside don't notice, only I do). My knee cracks from time to time and sometimes I get random pains. I am SO nervous because I read that PFS can lead to loss of leg function. any knowledge or experience anyone?
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Reducing Sport Injuries in children
Reducing Sports Injuries in Children
Learn important tips on how to avoid sports injuries, specifically for ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper

Dr. Robert Klapper:

Preventing Knee Surgery
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy