< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Dislocations and Chronic pain
Created On: 12/01/2005 11:07 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

03/08/2006 05:43 PM

Author Icon
JackNack

Frequent and unexplained dislocations may be Ehlers Danlos. You may think you're hypermobile but it may be this. Chronic dislocations and frequent joint bruising are symptoms. Once I found out about it, some physical therapy helped avoid the dislocations. Good luck. http://www.ehlers-danlos.org/http://www.ednf.org/
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 12/14/2005 07:38 AM

Author Icon
BrewerC1

Hey Lucy!Don't worry! Things will get better, I promise. I just had my surgery yesterday and when you are old enough to get it, I highly recommend it. Until then though, this is what I did when I had a lot of problems. Like you I was a chronic dislocater. I'm 21 and I've been dislocating since I was 16. The best thing I ever used was a J-Brace. It's a brace that goes from about your mid thigh to your upper calf, and it works wonders. It's usually made of neoprene and on the front, it has a J shaped support that starts at the top of the outter side of your knee cap and wraps under the bottom of it. If you get one that's nice and snug it holds that puppy in there really well. I was even able to play soccer again!http://www.kneeshop.com/muelleradj.htmThis is a great example, but you can also pick them up at Drug Stores like Rite Aid. Just make sure you get a good fit, that is the most important thing! You can wear it under your pants, it's still a little visible, but totally worth it. Until then, work on those inner thigh muscles and keep your chin up! Good Luck. : )Cara

-------------------------
This is the signature
 12/01/2005 11:07 AM

Author Icon
lucy7

Hello EveryoneMy name is Lucy and I am 14 years old. My knees have been subluxating and dislocating since I was 9, and I too have to always wear ugly, bulky braces. In the begining both my knees popped out (subluxated) and would slide back in on their own. This would happen serveral times a week and this caused alot of pain. When I was 11 I had a complete dislocation (it didn't come back in) and I had to go to ermergency for them to relocate it, and wore a splint brace for several weeks. Since then I have had multiple dislocations and recently my knee completely dislocated while I was lying down!!! This was the scariest of all for me for I realized that there would never be a time that I would be safe from dislocations. My doctors had ruled out sports for me a long time ago, I can't even do gym. The worst part of my condition is that I suffer from chronic pain, and this summer I had a severe allergic reaction to ibprophins and now I can only have codeine and tylenol. I have been in the worst pain since then and have hardly been at school at all this year. I am now in a viscious cycle of not sleeping due to the pain and feeling terrible and tired all day. The codiene gives me chest pains and sometimes I get anxiety thinking I may have a heart attack from all the drugs I am taking. I am never not in pain and sometimes I feel I am trapped in a torture chamber which is my own body. I know I must have surgery, however I am still growing and to do it now would require repeat surgery's. I know people do not understand this problem and how debilitating it is. I am resigned to the fact that I will never do sports, or dance etc but the unrelentless pain and constant fear of my knees dislocating is ruining my life--as I am unable to have fun and go out like normal teenagers. Can anyone help with chronic pain relief alternatives? I need help! Please reply.-Lucy

-------------------------
This is the signature

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Knee-Related Sport Injury
Knee-Related Sports Injuries
Listen as Dr. Robert Afra, from UCSD Medical Center, explains prominent ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper

Dr. Robert Klapper:

Preventing Knee Surgery
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy