< REFRESH >
Topic Title: TKR 2 months post op pain
Created On: 07/22/2008 08:35 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

08/14/2008 07:08 PM

Author Icon
mlc

First off I have to agree with everyone about staying on the pain meds. I just - 2.5 weeks ago had a TKR and am so so scared my doctor will force me off the meds too soon. Before I explain my current situation I will tell you about my lumbar disc replacement 4.5 years ago when i was just 40. It took 6 plus months to get off Kadian which is timed released morphine. I don't know yet how to compare this surgery with my TKR. Anyway if your in pain it is proven, and believe me I have done my homework that living in pain makes you less efficient, and depressed as others said, along with just being in bad mental shape.Before my surgery I was on Kadian and Norco for breakthrough pain, so I had some resistance coming into the surgery. I thought my pain med doctor understood this??? Anyway when I left the hospital she put me on a pain patch, and Norco for breakthrough pain. So when I called as I was still in allot of pain, level 8, and told the paid med doctors assistant i needed more breakthrough meds. So they added another pain patch, and lessened my number of Norco for breakthrough. But i am finding i still get bad break through pain and need more Norco then they gave me. I see my pain med doctor on Monday and will discuss my situation. Maybe by then I won't need the extra Norco. But I am so scared I start to shake at the thought of the doctor putting my on less of my pain patch. So I have to tell my doctor how serious my pain is and assume she will treat me well. She always has in the past, like when I had my back surgery.Anyway I want you to get something out of my experience. In a nut shell do not under medicate yourself! You will be hurting not helping yourself. When it was time for me to get off my back meds, the Kadian my doctor tapered me off, and gave me a medicine which helped in a big way. Below I provided a link to many sites on google that will help you, I think understand, that I think not taking your med's to take care of your pain hurts you.http://www.google.com/search?c...;ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 08/12/2008 12:52 PM

Author Icon
mynewknees

I am 5 1/2 months post op from total bilateral knee replacement. I am still taking 1 pain pill in the morning and 2 at bedtime, as I still have quite a bit of pain. I am on my feet most of the day at work and I just have to have them to help me cope. I am not addicted and plan to get off of them if and when the pain goes away. I am taking hydrocodine. Ask your dr for a script for this med. It is too soon for you to be completely off all pain meds. Don't let the pain get you down. Good luck to you!
 07/27/2008 03:23 PM

Author Icon
scorvino

Good advice Ralph- that's exactly what my doc said too and I didn't listen - paid the price till i got with the program and once I had the meds in my system found i could exercise better, and sleep better and was much less depressed.
 07/27/2008 12:42 PM

Author Icon
schoust

If I may ladies,My Wife had a spinal fusion that did not go well and she is in cronic pain and more than likly will be for the rest of her life. My point here girls is the treatment of pain is really an art in itself that I have learned a lot about in the past two years. If you are still in pain do not worry about addiction at this point in the game,there are a whole lot of drugs that they can give you to get off of the stuff when the time is right. What is needed here is you must always keep one step ahead of the pain! Do not let the madicine completey lapse form your system. The reason I say these things is the pain Doc that is treating my wife has said this and it has worked for my wife very well. Even if you take a little bit here and there keep it in your system at least until you are feeling better and the healing is done. This is definetly the approach that I am going to take when I begin my journey back to good health.....Ralph

-------------------------
Young and Hurting Bad.........
 07/26/2008 10:36 PM

Author Icon
morko

I agree with Becky. It is very soon to be giving up all of your pain meds, especially if you deal with fibromyalgia. You sound like you are doing well. It is a very slow recovery and it make take a year or more to feel normal. Talk to you Doctor about changing medicines. Ibuprofen is probably not enough yet. The pain can cause depression and it is a real thing to not let go too far without talking to your doctor. Those first three months after surgery were hell. In many ways. It really will get better.Audrey
 07/22/2008 06:03 PM

Author Icon
gammawbecky

Annabeth, You just might be jumping the gun by giving up good pain relief so soon. I agree with getting rid of Percocet since it is so strong, but there others like hydrocodone that would be appropriate now. Call your OS and see if they will agree (I'll bet they do!). The nice thing about hydrocodone is that they can just call your pharmacy instead of you needing a written script. Other than the pain, it sounds like you are doing just fine and now it is just a time thing until you feel much better.Becky
 07/22/2008 08:35 AM

Author Icon
Annabeth

[iI am weaning off the Percocet and am in terrible pain. I do my exercises faithfully, ride stationary bike 5 to 10 min daily, and have 9 stairs I go up and down all day. I am at 115 degree bend, My surgery was 2 months and 3 days ago. I am down to 7 Percocet now and am cutting them in half--1/2 to get up in morning and 1/2 to go to sleep. These are my hardest times. When will the pain ease up? 800 mg of Ibuprophen doesn't seem to help. I do have Fibromyakgia and perhaps that makes a difference. I am getting depressed. Any ideas?Thanks,Annabeth

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Knee Pain Relief
Is chronic knee pain keeping you from enjoying your favorite activities? ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper

Dr. Robert Klapper:

Preventing Knee Surgery
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy