Screw Removal: best thing I did.

< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Screw Removal: best thing I did.
Created On: 09/06/2005 12:46 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

05/06/2013 04:42 PM

Author Icon
johnteylor

Hi Friends,knee replacement surgery in a damaged knee joint by placing an artificial prosthesis will alleviate pain and help better movement of the knee.Today, every year, several knee replacement surgeries are carried out in the world. Most patients are seniors - aged over 65 years.For most patients, a knee replacement surgical procedure will last for at least 15 to 20 years, especially if cared for properly and not put under too much strain. More than 90% of people who have total knee replacement surgery experience a dramatic decrease in knee pain and a significant improvement in their ability to perform common activities of daily living.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 07/05/2012 07:06 PM

Author Icon
BestRecovery

Being as you're in severe pain, I would highly suggest and recommend you have them removed. First, contact your doctor and explain to him the pain you're in. If you're in pain and can't manage to have a normal life, there must be something that can be done to fix that. If he recommends that you have the screws replaced rather then removed, I would suggest that option as you stated without them, your knee dislocated numerous times. Either way, discuss with your doctor your options but there must be something that can be done to help you.
 01/11/2011 04:47 PM

Author Icon
JessicaO

Hi Everyone!
This is the first time I am writing. I am 24F. I have an upcoming Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy coming up on January 25th. Along with that they are doing MPFL reconstruction with hamstring allograft. I previously had both my knees done when I was 13 and 14 years old. My knees were dislocating numberous times a day. My mom and brother both had the same problem and had surgery when they were around that age too. They both do not have further problems with their knees. The problem i am having right now is my knee is malaligned (I have a hard time going down stairs because my knee doesnt run on track) Its impossible to wear a high heel and go down steps. It also dislocates too but not as much as it did before my surgery when i was 13. My other knee runs on track a little better but still can dislocate whenevever i move a certain way and am not careful.
I also have severe arthitis and take 2 50mg tramadol daily. Can anyone tell me if they have gotten this surgery, what it was like for recovery and mainly about the screws. My doctor said i would not need to get them removed. But ive been reading this website and everyone talks about not being able to kneel because of them? Please let me know how the screws effect you. Also, it seems like some people say the pain is unbearable and some say it wasnt that bad. I am terrified. Im in fairly good shape right now, im 5' 5'' and around 115 pounds. Does any of this make a difference for my recovery? Thank you very much
 07/02/2008 07:17 AM

Author Icon
kpojeta

Tina from down under - just saw the last part of your post - and ICE ICE ICE! It threw everything I knew about 20 minutes on / 20 minutes off out the window so that was hard to swallow, but they gave me an "Iceman" - a small portable cooler that plugs in, you fill it with ice and it has a bladder-thing that wraps around your knee. They said I could leave this on and use it for as long as I needed after surgery (I'm talking a couple weeks here). I used it pretty much 24/7 the first week and a half and everytime I was home after that for another week. Swelling does take a while to go down but once I started working out again and breaking up scar tissue and rebuilding the muscles in the leg, that has helped. I finally felt like I had a knee that looked normal again about 3-4 months post-op (besides the scar running down it of course).Also, let your physical therapist push you and if you've been active before, get active again. I stayed about 1-2 weeks ahead of normal progression by pushing to get on a bike as soon as he would let me - that speeds up recovery quite a bit once you can get back on a bike! But there is a certain point where they "let" you back on a bike, so don't jump their gun!
 07/02/2008 07:12 AM

Author Icon
kpojeta

I had a TTT done March 13, 2008. I am doing a FEW things I wasn't able to do before the surgery but am not exactly back to everything yet, like full squats, lunges, running, "stepping", jumping and soccer. It's getting better and better though! I am having the screw removed tomorrow, July 3, 2008. I was told it is a 10 minute procedure but must be done in the OR and cannot be done in the office. It sounds like a previous poster made it out okay and rather quickly. I came to this site searching for information on the after-effects of having it removed. I'm currently training for the DALMAC, a 400 mile bike ride from East Lansing, MI to our Upper Peninsula (can't run, might as well bike!) and have a ride planned for Friday, the day after screw removal. Sounds like this might be possible! The docs and PT's anticipate I will be running and back to FULL activities in another couple months - fingers crossed!So far I'm pleased with the surgery even if I'm not as patient as I should be during recovery. I am told another couple months until really running again. I tried limping/jogging around bases at a friendly softball game and it was quite sore afterwards. As for those still with screws - my doc made it very clear early on that the screw could come out but it was my call. He said some people have issues with them, others don't, but when you think about it, the bone is weakened by that screw inside it since the bone can't (from what I have been told - I'm not medically trained) adhere to that material. Taking it out will allow the bone to regrow.For those considering surgery, it took a lot for me to undergo my surgery - I am not a huge fan of modern medicine and I have no luck with local anesthesia so they had no choice but to put me all the way out and provide me far more drugs than I wanted. I had read all the horror stories of people during/after surgery undergoing sometimes life-threatening things or even dying from simple procedures. I'm not trying to scare anyone, but it's all a risk. Just remember there's far more that go through it without any issue than those that do have major issues. You just have to be comfortable and confident in your decision!
 02/11/2008 09:00 AM

Author Icon
millie

hi i just had my TTT surgery done on 29/1/08 on my left knee and i have symtoms of alot of brusing and swelling around carf and ankle the bruising is from my thigh to my ankle i was told i am weight barron wich is no weight down on my leg so the use of crutches and a frame is what i use for the next 6-8 weeks i have a screw in my knee too with numbness around the wound and down my carf and pain around the back on my knee is this normal ? i tell you folks not been able to walk is a pain tho and not be able to stand up in the shower and to use a chair to sit on while having a shower is fun ..laughs!!! how long does the it take to recover from this surgery and leaving the screw in for years cause any future damage ? what can and cant you do after the healing is finshed is there any little tricks out there that can help me with the pain and swelling that may help me thanks fellow TTT's regards Tina from aussieland
 08/21/2007 12:40 PM

Author Icon
Sarahfinah

I had my acl replaced 3 years ago. I've continued to have knee problems and finally went in today to see a doctor (not my surgeon). He said that I may want to consider meeting with my surgeon and having the screws removed (I also have tendonitis in my knee). What are the benefits to having the screws removed (I'm not sure what pain is caused by the screws and what is from the tendonitis)? What does the surgery entail (ie. general or spinal anaestheasia, crutches, how long do I need to take off work, etc)? I'm looking for any advice before I take the time to meet with my surgeon.Thanks,Sarah
 02/20/2006 10:37 PM

Author Icon
sharonschoppman

I am scheduled to have TTT done in May. I am in high hopes that it will alleviate much of the pain I have had for the last 16+ years. Having been through 4 surgeries previously the operation does not worry me so much as I have had my doctor for 16 years. I am concerned about the recovery and how long it will take me to get back to doing my activities. I know I will be off of work for 2 weeks and 6 weeks on crutches, but I am not sure how much weight I can put on my knee afterwards and how long it will be before I can look into skiing and martial arts again. Anyone have any ideas??BTW - thanks for all of the great info - good and bad. I want to know the worst so I can plan for it, but hope for the best.
 01/29/2006 12:36 AM

Author Icon
AmyLaw

I never had the option of being locally anaethetised. Far better for the body that way. I had my screws removed about 5months ago now, and all's still well. I was in a car accident and subluxed the right knee again, which was a dissapointment. My Surgeon said it may have been a once-off thing, and I haven't had much worries since - except a little pain below the patella. Must say though - when I read these detailed, in-depth stories about how agonising and traumatic post-op life was, it's pretty damn terrifying! I'm soooo glad I didn't read any of these horror-tales before my operations, or I really don't think I'd have gone through with it. Just a note, folks... think before you type - you may be the deciding factor for someone about going through with their own surgery. A little bit of pain vs a lifetime of physical freedom...weigh it up.
 01/11/2006 09:01 PM

Author Icon
heather916

Hi Patty, I had a TTT done to the other side so it was done in the OR. But my OS told me that in june(when this set of screws comes out) that it is done in the OR, that i'll be awake and that it takes 10 minutes.
 12/15/2005 12:45 PM

Author Icon
Patty0513

Hi Jerry,The Fulkerson procedure is one of about 4 procedures that qualify as aTibial Tubercle Transfer (or Osteotomy). A really good site to read up on the TTT procedures and others is Kneehippain.comPatty
 12/14/2005 08:13 PM

Author Icon
jerman710

Is this TTT surgery the same as a Fulkerson Osteotomy? I think it is but I'm not sure.

-------------------------
Jerry
 12/14/2005 02:43 PM

Author Icon
Patty0513

Hi Heather, just wondering if your OS is removing them in the OR or at his office. I have thought about getting mine out but can't convince my OS to do it at his office. Good luck and let me know how it went.Patty
 12/10/2005 09:38 PM

Author Icon
heather916

2 weeks and counting till I get my screws out....I can't wait. I work with kids and it's so hard not being able to kneel. I'm surprised your dr. is only telling you now the screws come out. I was told before I even went in for surgery that they came out.
 11/14/2005 10:22 PM

Author Icon
ceemac8

Thanks for the good news! I had a TTT done in February and was told there would be a permanent "bump" below my knee - this is actually one of the screws. My new doc (I moved, nothing wrong with the first doc.) said he wants to take the screws out. I didn't know that this was an option, and I've been dealing with the screwhead sticking out over half an inch under the skin. I bump it almost daily, and can't kneel because of it. Now I am seriously considering having them removed. Glad to hear it was a good decision on your part. Please keep me posted.Chris34 female
 09/06/2005 12:46 PM

Author Icon
AmyLaw

I had a Tibial Tuberosity Transfer on my left knee in January and on my right knee in May, and have been very pleased with the results. The only negative aspect was that I could no longer kneel or do certain activities, and so I chose to have my screws removed last week. Wow! What a difference! The surgery took only 20mins and within an hour I was skipping around the hospital and begging to be discharged. I have experince no pain at all and can, for the first time in years, actually bend my knees completely and painlessly. It has only been 8 days but I feel so much better. If anyone is having similar discomfort with their screws, I can highly recommend having them removed (although the general anaesthetic left me run down and with a bad bout of flu!)Amy.23 female.

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Knee Exam
Dan Smith performs a full knee examination. ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper

Dr. Robert Klapper:

Preventing Knee Surgery
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy