Topic Title: Post-surgury help
Created On: 12/16/2010 03:23 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

12/17/2010 10:11 AM

Author Icon
Notyetagolfpro

Hi SuicideJack,

Your meniscus repair / knee problems sound pretty awful - hopefully the "suicide" in your screen name isn't a reflection of how you're feeling! Hope not because here's light at the end of tunnel. It's always a good idea to get a second opinion on surgery and I think that you have that right if you don't agree w/ your PPD. However, first research your second opinion surgeon carefully. Often very important in the case of meniscus surgery as this post shows. It's complicated surgery as you can see from this video and a lot of people on this board have had mixed results with surgery.

As far as the Worker's Comp. Issues, it seems that your union is giving you good advice although I have limited personal experience w/ WC. You should really read the documents closely- they might be requiring you to fully release them prior to cashing the check. This resource on PPD/WC might help you.

Good luck, hope that you get some peace in this Holiday Season... NYAGP

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 12/16/2010 03:23 PM

Author Icon
suicidejack

Hi, I had a meniscus repair surgury done on my right knee through work comp a little over a year ago. My knee didn't feel much different after six months and my doc said it would take a year to find out where I am truly at with it (I was never given physical thereapy). Now, a year later, the knee feels much the same and my doctor has told me I may need to give it some 2-5 years, depending. The symptoms I have are mainly instability to a small degree, the knee will pop or hang up occasionally, more or less dull pains from time to time either from some position I got myself in or just an ache while doing nothing, soreness after strenuous work, and if I push on the inside of my knee with my finger on a certain spot it feels like pushing on a pretty good bruise.
I recieved a PPD (permanent partial disability) check in the mail the other day that said I have a 3% disability. I'm assuming this is to release work comp of any further financial burden. Now that I've dispensed with the backstory, my questions are these:
Is my doctor correct in that I haven't given this enough time and that my knee will substantially improve over the next year or more? My union has urged me to not cash this check and seek a second opinion. My concern is that my doctor originally told me one year and then now has backed up to say 2-5 years. Does anyone have any expirience with the time frame it actually takes this thing to heal? Are my symptoms normal for post-op? The bruise feeling concerns me mostly. Has anyone dealt with these PPD checks and what does this actually mean?
thanks

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Total Knee Replacement
Minimally Invasive Total Knee Replacement
Learn about the total knee replacement surgery and rehab proceess from ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper
Dr. Robert Klapper:
Preventing Knee Surgery
  more   more Heroes
  Nominate a Hero   Hero Policy