< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Running with torn meniscus
Created On: 04/26/2007 07:36 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

06/07/2007 08:55 AM

Author Icon
suzanneb

I tore my meniscus running on my left knee. I was told I needed surgery to repair my knee, the meniscus could not be repaired, but would be removed. Within a week or 2 it started feeling much better and I decided against surgery. I biked a lot because I was told that stronger quads would help the knee. I walked instead of running. Over time, my knee was fine, but when I tried to run, it would begin to bother me. HOWEVER, the worst part is while I was resting my bad knee, I must have been overcompensating and then really screwed up my good knee. That knee now has a torn meniscus and needs emergency surgery. I am having both done tomorrow. With my original bad knee, I think I could have skipped surgery, but would not be able to run anymore. Hiking and walking were fine, but not running. So just make sure that you are no hurting your other knee while you are trying to heal your bad knee.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 06/02/2007 10:28 AM

Author Icon
jdl

i'm closing in on 2 year from the day that i tore my lateral meniscus on my left knee playing basketball (probably buckethandle tear). I deferred surgery and rehabbed the knee on my own. I was able to return to playing basketball at about 7 months (i thinks) and now i've begun jogging about a mile in the morning. Surgery isn't for everyone; don't be so quick to do it. You can't relplace what they cut out and all they're doing is providing mechanical relief (locking, clicking, etc). And that is the basis of the outcome of surgery, no more clicking? no more locking? Success! Never mind the pain that's still there. You may take my route and decide to rehab it if you're having minimal mechanical issues as mentioned above. Pain and inflammation should eventually subside, and believe me, you should be able to straighten out your leg again eventually. My philosophy is that it's better to have a torn/damaged cushion then a no cushion in my joints. Much luck to you. Oh yeah, i've been popping glucosamine/chondroitin and subjectively, seems to help.
 04/26/2007 07:36 PM

Author Icon
ronleo

I hurt my knee a few months ago while running and wasn't sure what exactly was wrong. Stayed off of it for a while and it only improved slightly, so finally broke down and got an MRI and met with a Doctor. I have a torn meniscus, was told it could not be repaired with surgery, and was told to go to a PT. Has anyone had a torn meniscus and been able to return to running? I was never a distance runner, usually a couple of miles at the local track a couple of times a week, but it is driving me crazy not being able to run at all. I will be 40 in two weeks and have always enjoyed running a couple of miles, and now not able to run at all. My wife thinks I am crazy, but I actually have dreams about being able to run again! Any advice from people that have gone through this and have been able to return to running would be GREATLY appreciated!

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Knee Exam
Dan Smith performs a full knee examination. ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper

Dr. Robert Klapper:

Preventing Knee Surgery
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy