< REFRESH >
Topic Title: knee gives out
Created On: 10/03/2000 07:28 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

10/12/2000 03:21 PM

Author Icon
Janet7015

My knee problems began due to repetative squatting during occupational performances. My patella began dislocating frequently. I had a laproscopy and debridement surgery which merely calmed symptoms down for a short period. I had another surgery for a bi-lateral ligament release and debridement six months later. After the second surgery I battled extensive fluid and my patella then sublexed laterally. A mere tilt of my leg caused my patella to slide off with gravity. After a few weeks it would get hung up on a groove or lession, causing severe pain and more swelling. I was referred to another orthopedic surgeon for complete reconstructive surgery. Needless to say, it was very painful and unsuccessful. I was finally referred to a physician 581 miles away. He performed 5 different surgical procedures to save my patella in anticipation of the need for a knee replacement down the road. I now have relocated to Columbus, Ohio and am in need of a better than average orthopedic surgeon for follow-up care. My knee buckles constantly with no advanced warning or cause. I have fallen on several occassions and need treatment. I can not afford to interrupt my husbands career and commute to Georgia to seek treatment. My knee problems are very complicated. Where can I turn to for treatment? Any suggestions from anyone?
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 10/03/2000 07:28 AM

Author Icon
Armando6864

My 12 year old son has osgood schlatter on both legs, and in June, as a result of x-rays, and a MRI was found to have a "subchronal irregularity" in his left knee porbably representing osteochondritis dessicans. No lose bodies, no fluids, or tears, probably a stage 1 lesion in situ. He stopped playing soccer for 8 weeks (althogh both orthopeadics said he could continue to play since the finding was asympomatic, by accident as a result of the x-rays). He never had KNEE pain, he still does not, other than for the osgood schlatter below the knee. A week ago he said that sometimes his left knee gives out, but he still has no pain. What could be the problem... someone told me it could be quadracept inhibition - bone growth faster than muscle strength??? Please advise.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Bionic knee for amputees
Bionic Knee Research for Amputees
Watch as physical therapists at the University of South Florida work with ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper

Dr. Robert Klapper:

Preventing Knee Surgery
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy