< REFRESH >
Topic Title: knee pain, Hylagen/Synvisc, medicaltions & supplements
Created On: 04/19/2003 12:03 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

02/09/2005 11:29 AM

Author Icon
Joan54

I am just back to work part time after TKR. I am progressing quite well. I am still taking bextra and ultram for pain in my other knee. I took several other meds when I first injured my knee in the 80's. I had trouble with several. Thanks for your suggestion. I will look into it. I would like to take less meds each day. I originally hoped to have tkr on my other knee this fall, but I have decided to put it off as long as possible. I am not ready to go throuh it again right away. I have the Johnson & Johnson knee that pivots with a 10 inch incision. My mother just had the less invasive surgery on her knee on Monday of this week. I am not sure exactly what type of knee she has.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 02/09/2005 10:45 AM

Author Icon
Marti6676

I had hylagen injections a couple times before I had TKR, and they helped once, but not the 2nd time. If there is little or no cartilage, there is no help. However, if you still are not to the point of surgery, and can still control osteoarthritis with pain meds, but are afraid to take Vioxx, etc., let me tell you about an older, but very effective NSAID. It is voltarin ER. You can start at 75mg, and work up to 300/day. Even after TKR, I take it to control other joint pain. My dose is 150mg in the morning and evening. If you can take aspirin products, you should ask your doctor for this medicine. Don't give up on it until you get the maximum dose! Another good thing about it is that you don't have to wait for 3-4 weeks for it to take effect. You will know in 2-3 days if it is working. I have suggested to several friends...one with two hip replacements....to try this medicine and they have all gotten relief. For some reason, doctors overlook it for the new expensive meds. It also comes in a generic, so it is much more reasonable.
 01/18/2005 02:45 PM

Author Icon
lady

i am registered already but forgot what i used for name and password..i would like to talk to people who have had the synvics shots.
 09/23/2004 01:16 PM

Author Icon
Joan54

Hi Bob, After I had the Synvisc last fall, I did much better. After almost a year, I went back to the dr for another round of Synvisc. Last month I had three injections. The first one was OK. After the second, my knees were very stiff and painful and was not able to walk for a day or two. I was on crutches for 4 days. When I went back the next week for the third shot, I thought he would postpone it after the bad reaction to the second shot. He said it had nothing to do with the shoit. He felt I had exercised too much. Within 5 hours of the third shot I was hardly able to walk. I was not able to walk for two days and was on crutches for three weeks. My friend who is a PT said I must have had a bad reaction tothe Synvisc. I don't understand why it was nto helpful, in fact did me more harm than good. I can't stand in one place for more than a couple minutes. I have to sit to cook, do dishes, anything that requires me to stand in one place. When I go to the store, it is almost impossible to stand in line to pay. My quality of life is so bad at this point. I really miss walking, biking, gardening,etc. I have to sit to do most activities. I just heard about the hylagen and wonder how it differs from Synvisc. Joan
 09/23/2004 12:00 PM

Author Icon
bfreese1

Hi Joan, I had Hylagan treatment 14 months ago. Prior to the treatment I was in severe pain, couldn't sleep let alone walk up stairs. After the treatment, it took 3 months to feel the full effect and it has been wonderful since. I have been working out with wieghts, riding a bike, and doing this 4 times a week and I believe that has been as important if not more. I am 48 and holding off TKR as long as possinle. Bob
 09/23/2004 10:04 AM

Author Icon
Joan54

I am new to this forum. I have considerable pain and stiffness in both knees after surgery and Synvex. I just heard about Hylagen. What is the difference? Did you have the injections? Joan54
 07/23/2004 02:46 PM

Author Icon
bennan

I am 69 years young. My left knee is shot,completely gone says the Dr. I have had 3 shots of synvics and it has changed my life around;I can play softball,tennis etc. The last three shots I received was with hylagan. Of the two, I know sinvics worked better for me. My knee aches more now that I am on hylagan and the shots hurt much more. Ben
 07/07/2003 10:15 PM

Author Icon
bfreese1

I have just received my third Hylagan injection today with two to go.Both knees are being treated and I am in sevre pain. I am 47 and my doctors would like me in my 50's before I go the replacement route. Too early to tell if it is working but I do feel minor improvement. Asprin, advil, etc,..NONE WORK!! I HOPE THIS DOES. BOB
 04/19/2003 12:03 AM

Author Icon
ksb1951

Can someone tell me (from their experience and/or medical knowlege)the difference between Hylagan and Synvisc? My orthopedic surgeon want to start meon Hylagan. He has scheduledme for 4 injections one week apart. (How do they determine how many injections that someone gets??) I have osteoarthritis in both knees, all ofmy spine and hands & wrists. Also as far as over the counter, what opinions do others have regarding aspirin, tylenol, ibuprophen, for daily pain relief? Also wonder about something I saw about Coral Calcium (and ratios of magnesium & calcium) for relief. Also wonder if plain Gulcosamine Sulfate, or Glucosamine & Chondroitin combo is better??

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Student-Athletes Female ACL Injuries
Student-Athletes: Female ACL Injuries
This video features an example of a University of Rochester Medical Center ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper

Dr. Robert Klapper:

Preventing Knee Surgery
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy