< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Continuing knee pain 3 months after lateral meniscus surgery
Created On: 11/18/2004 01:50 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

02/21/2005 11:43 AM

Author Icon
shiinshi@yahoo.com

Sorry to hear about your pain, I can relate (lateral meniscusectomy [sp] 10/04). I would suggest, if possible, looking for a second opinion, even if it means doing another series of tests (i.e. MRI). In the meantime, try icing it as much as possible, this helps me out a great deal. Take care and good luck.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 02/21/2005 11:04 AM

Author Icon
Deters6234

Hey, I was reading the above posts and I can say than after 4 months my knee still hurts, and sharp pain too. I tried therapy but it just made it hurt more. The thing is that before my surgery, I was miss diagnosed and was told to do knee therapy way before I had my surgery. They thought it was something else, plica? Anyways, that made it really bad. From the pictures there was a large about of my lateral menicus torn plus there were these cracks every where and the Doctor said there were small tears, but he said he couldn't or wasn't going to fix them. He just smoothout the tear, and left the other "cracks" alone. The first month after the surgery, it would hurt so bad that from my knee down would feel like nails going through and then it would give out on me. I was always wondering if there is something more going on then just a lateral menicus tear. I am tired of pain. I can't even workout the same, used to be a very dedicated fitness guy, but not now. Sorry to hear about all your guy's troubles. Wish everyone the best.
 12/28/2004 11:47 PM

Author Icon
shiinshi@yahoo.com

Good luck at the doctor's Mark!
 12/28/2004 01:10 PM

Author Icon
tedsdad

Thanks for your replies, I have been back to my orthopedic surgeon. He showed me all the pictures they took of my knee after they did the meniscus surgery on Aug 10. The pictures show my knee is absolutely clean now. My problem is an IT Band syndrome. I guess I have a bad case, because I went to physical therapy for two months and did all kinds of work on it, but the pain would not go away. The doctor finally gave me a shot of cortosone which knocked all of the pain out, but now after about 7 weeks, it is starting to come back, but not as bad as before. The doctor wants me to do one more month of physical therapy, but I have had all I can take of that. I can do the stretches on my own. I went for over two months twice a week and it helped, but the IT Band syndrome pain was still there until after the cortosone shot. I have another appointment with the surgeon on 12/30. I am going to ask for another cortosone shot, because it really helped. I just want to get my 25 year old body back...just kidding...but I would like to be resonably pain free so I can excersise and enjoy my life. Thanks again for your replies. Mark
 12/27/2004 05:24 PM

Author Icon
OldFart

Hey Mark, It seems that you are not alone when it comes to pain and swelling after having surgery on the knee. I too had my left knee operated on for a meniscus problem (Jan of 2004) and went through months of physical therapy, yet as of today I feel actually worse than when it all started. My knee swells up when I elivate it and apply heat after Ice. the heat reduces the pain but it still swells up and hurts real bad when I get up and walk on it. What I have found out with yet another doctor who did another MRI is that the meniscus was actually only partially removed (the torn setion) and the remaining section has a inside tear. I have undergone synvisc injections, cortisone shots, pain killers, anti inflamitory meds, yet still have lots of pain. The surgery I had was done athorscopically where they do not actually open the knee. Now the doc wants to redo this proceedure, but I feel that if it was not done right the first time, or if something was missed, then why take this chance again in hopes that it would be done right this time. I am considering telling the doc to just open the knee up and actually see what has to be done and do it. including the possibility of total knee replacement. here is a strange question for you. . .do you find that if you are up and around walking here and there, doing this and that, that the knee hurts worse when you are not mobile, and wakes you up at night? It hepls to talk about it. Seems that we have something in common Ken
 11/25/2004 11:03 AM

Author Icon
shiinshi@yahoo.com

Hi Mark, I had about a 1/3 of my lateral meniscus removed (from the diagram I saw on my chart). Whenever I bend my knee I hear it rattles, and on some occasions it feels swollen and somewhat uncomfortable. In your follow up visits has your doctor checked it or taken x-rays (for possible debris), or that all of the tearing was not completely removed? Good luck and take care.
 11/18/2004 01:50 PM

Author Icon
tedsdad

Hello, Over 3 months ago, I had surgery to remove 25% of the lateral menicus in my right knee. I went through physical therapy for the past 2 months, ( starting about 1 month after surgery). The physical therapy helped a lot, but my knee still hurts a lot bending down, going up or down stairs. The physical therapist said that besides recovering from the surgery of the menisus tear, I have fairly bad IT Band syndrome. I have been doing the IT Band streches and all of the physical therapy and it helps some, but the pain is still there pretty bad on and off. Sometimes it gets REAL bad when I have been sitting for a long time. I am 48 years old, but I feel like an old man now. I have always worked out, participated in sports, etc. The physical therapist made me a pair of orthodics( spelling?) and sent me somewhere to get new running shoes. These help too, but the problem is not with walking or even jogging, it is with bending, going up or down stairs or getting up from a sitting position. I have been taking Mobic, which helps, but I don't know if it is good to take a large dose every day. I have been told that usually most people after meniscus surgery are pretty much pain free, but I don't think this will ever end. Has this happened to anyone else. Please help, Thank you. Mark

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Bionic knee for amputees
Bionic Knee Research for Amputees
Watch as physical therapists at the University of South Florida work with ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper

Dr. Robert Klapper:

Preventing Knee Surgery
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy