< REFRESH >
Topic Title: lateral release and manipulation under anesthesia
Created On: 02/23/2003 06:35 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

07/24/2003 02:26 PM

Author Icon
ATsoccergirl

I had nerve blocks during both of my surgeries. I absolutely hate them. With the first surgery I really didn't have a problem with it. But with the 2nd surgery, I could not contract my quad for almost 2 weeks. This really lengthened my recovery time. I also had some MCL instability, so without my quad I was having major stabilities issues.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 07/24/2003 01:18 PM

Author Icon
karenwilke

I just had manipulation under anesthesia 7 days ago. The problem that I had was that in recovery I was in such pain and the shots weren't working so they gave me a nerve block. Well, now my quadriceps don't work and that is NOT a good thing! Everyone knows that anes is a risk, but I really thought that it was the least of my worries, so make sure you discuss why types of anes and try to stay away from the nerve blocks at all cost! I will from now on. We don't know if mine is just temporary or permanent yet, but even with 1 1/2 hours of pt everyday I have no improvement of the quadriceps. The knee went from 50 degrees to 75 degrees, so that part was good.
 05/02/2003 11:37 PM

Author Icon
www1974

I have had the manipulation under anesthesia. I was scared to death only because I had had 6 surgeries prior to this one in 7 months due to a motorcycle accident and and impacted my knee on the road. Not a pretty site. Anyway, after the surgery they put a block in my leg to help with the pain. I WASn't EVEN CLOSE to as bad as I thought it would be. Piece of cake. I was up and moving around on the next day (on crutches - but I had been on crutches for 6 months). Therapy afterwards was rough because of the swelling but I had other injuries not healed yet too. I am bending my knee pretty good now which is more than I could before. It's worth it. It's much better that the P.T. people killing you trying to bend it and get it moving. Makes P.T. go a LOT faster. Go for it.
 02/25/2003 07:59 PM

Author Icon
mrschrismoose

I am 42 years old and have had 2 surgeries in the past 6 months also, but 1 on each knee. The last knee was scoped, debried and taken care of in December, and was a great success. The first one (my right) was done in July, 2002, and is still a mess. I too have a flexion contracture that no one seems able to explain. I am back in PT and was told if that didn't work, I would have to have a knee replacement. At my age i would need several in my life time. My doctor hasn't suggested a lateral release. Would that help me? I just want to be able to walk and do things like a normal person--I'm not a jock, but I want my life (without pain) back!
 02/23/2003 06:35 PM

Author Icon
dd0604

Hi. I am 40 years old and have had two surgeries in the past 6 months. First I had chondroplasty for grade III chondromalacia and then 3 months later I had a lateral meniscus repair in November 2002. I was non-weight bearing for a month and was receiving PT for range of motion therapy during that time. Now I am left with a flexion contracture with loss of complete extention of my right knee. Am having continual pain under the knee cap especially when PT tries to straighten it. It hurts so bad when they try to straigten it or manipulate the knee cap. OS has suggested manipulation under anesthesia and possible lateral release to treat a severely subluxing knee cap that is causing chronic bone pain under the knee cap and constant swelling. PT has begun to cause chronic inflammation in the synovium. Has anyone else had manipulation under anesthesia and if so how did it go? Is it very painful afterward? I have read about lateral release surgery and kind of understand what is like to have that surgery, but am not sure about manipulation under anesthesia. Any information would be helpful. Thanks so much!

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Knee Injuries Health Short
Knee Injuries
Listen to a discussion of knee injuries, highlighting the anatomy of the ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper
Dr. Robert Klapper:
Preventing Knee Surgery
  more   more Heroes
  Nominate a Hero   Hero Policy