Topic Title: Pain after meniscus repair
Created On: 06/02/2004 07:38 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

11/19/2012 12:46 PM

Author Icon
choosepainfree

Horsy,
I would like to send you a free sample of my pain relief lotion. I am not selling you anything. I firmly believe I can help you. Contact me at choosepainfree@gmail.com

Lisa

-------------------------
You have a choice to live pain free!
www.gopainfree.com
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 11/17/2012 07:26 PM

Author Icon
horsy

Hi I am 10 weeks after medial meniscus rapair surgery. Now I can walk a bit (1km a day), can't run at all, my knee feels unstable and locking so I need to stop and shake it, but no pain on locking. My Phisio said that recovery is looking good and she makes me doing hard exercises which i diligently do. But I am not happy about my recovery.
I can surf and ski and ride a horse and rockclimb but as a beginner being almost advanced in all those sports!
The worse is standing. I am standing and walking at work for 4hrs a day and my knee swells and hurts under patella after work. The biggest problem - the joint is swollen and the swelling doesn't go down.
I do exercises 3 time a day, stratching, squats, cycling. There is numbness on cranio-lateral surface of my shin. The knee is quite stiff. Its painful to twist. I wonder if you have the same? My surgeon recons he should take my meniscus out, but I said NO MORE surgeries! How come people can run and go to the gym 5 weeks after the surgery? I need to work 32hrs a week abut can hardly stand for 20hrs a week((

By the way, I am taking Chinese herbs and Glucosamin+chondroinin and deer velvet. It helps with pain a lot! I compared with taking no medication. Also ice makes the knee stiffer. But I use oinment with Arnica, calendula, Hipericum and pepermint to cool down the knee when it feels hot. My chinese doc said everything can heal but he told me to rest, which is impossible. Thats a problem.

01/23/2012 02:39 PM

Author Icon
GaelForceWinds

Hi! I replied to your below post at the following link. I hope it's helpful.

http://www.knee1.com/forum/Meniscus_Injury_and_Repair/Stuck_at_90_degrees-19967#72752

11/28/2011 03:19 AM

Author Icon
goscooby

can anyone help with questions on having a knee manipulation done on a human?
 11/23/2011 02:53 PM

Author Icon
richardhook01

Hi,
Meniscal injuries in dogs are a very common problem secondary to cranial cruciate ligament tears. Injury to the menisci without injury to the cruciate ligament, however, is very rare in the dog.The menisci are two C-shaped pieces of cartilage that sit on the surface of the tibial plateau where the femur and the tibia come into contact.

Meniscus Surgery

06/19/2009 04:30 PM

Author Icon
shauna123

I think you are correct the menisci(plural) can heal by itself. The meniscus has two parts..the read and the white part. The red part is the outer part that has some amount of blood flowing to it, but the white doesnt. So there is a possibility that your tear happened at the rim. I am currently suffering from a posterior horm meniscus tear (medial) that use to keep me up at nights. I had to do arthoscopy of mine and sew the tear together. I'm in my 9th week post surgery and 12 week post injury playing basketball. I have a pain right below the knee cap that i was wondering if anyone suffered the same. Its more of a burning. This is the same pain that i felt right after surgery so i'm a bit nervous. My PT says its normal but i'm still wondering. Any thoughts...
 06/29/2008 07:01 PM

Author Icon
barryscott1

I too am experiencing pain again after surgery in March 2008... the same kind as I had before it was done... I had pain in my shin for a good 8 weeks post op, but that is gone now, just pain in the knee where is was operated on. 7 weeks of PT, and was doing so well. Maybe the Pilates, maybe the high heels? Going to Europe in 5 weeks and thought I was cured?
 06/29/2008 06:59 PM

Author Icon
barryscott1

I too have had many surgeries, hystertomy, etc.. but this was a doozie ! I am 4 months out and was doing fine 7 weeks after, but now, I am in loads of pain, maybe the Pilates, the swimming, the high-heels, but he said I would be able to play tennis after one month... No way..what am I to do now, the pain is in the exact place as it was before the surgery, and am going to Europe in 5 weeks.... I am so upset, I thought I was cured.. Maybe just a bad few weeks?
 05/16/2007 11:01 AM

Author Icon
ishka

I have been suffering with similar problems for 4 years. 4 years ago I tore my medial meniscus and had surgery. After I had considerable pain and was told I needed tibial tubrecle transfer( a very painful surgery). Three years after I had the screws taking out and upon another m.r.i it was discovered i had another large med meniscus tear. In Feb of 07 I had a meniscusotomy. this April i had extreme swelling in pain from just mild walking. Just had an m.ri. and the results are of synvitis. I think this A bakers cyst. I still have considerable pain and swelling as well asshow all the signs for torn cartlidge. I have a positive McMurray test with constant loud clicking although the m.r.i. did not show a tear. Does anybody know if synovitis is the same thing as a baker's cyst?
 10/13/2006 02:46 PM

Author Icon
liz47

Part of meniscus removed March. Seven months later I can do most things except stand still! The knee feels unstable when I stand still and has a similar pain to pre operation problem but not as pronounced. Friends have come up with 'housemaids knees'. Any other suggestions? I also stretched the ACL and the MCL. Lots of 'give it time' advice. Can anyone with similar problem reassure me that it may get better -please.
 06/14/2006 08:53 PM

Author Icon
ervinx

I am 6 weeks out of left medial meniscus repair with acl reconstruction. My OS wanted to be a little conservative and left me on crutches for 4 weeks with no weight bearing and a locked brace. Then 1 week with 1 crutch. Now I am finally walking and the pain in the back of my left knee is pretty annoying. My knee is somewhat stiff and it "catches" when I bend and straighten it after.To answer your question, My Doctor said that the pain behind my knee is normal and it's due to surgery and the post op ligament and tendin stiffness on that area.I hope you feel better.
 06/14/2006 08:00 AM

Author Icon
Delta_747

That's exactly what happened to me. After the meniscus tear I waiting a few weeks and was able to go back to the gym and now it's locking occasionally and I realize it will not heal on it's own. I am currently out of the gym and scheduling a consultation and MRI to see how bad this tear is. I will sacrafice my work outs for now, I don't want a cronic problem.
 06/01/2006 04:45 AM

Author Icon
szemin

Hi guysis it normal to have stiffness on my knee after 2 weeks of meniscus trimming ?i have been practicing walkin without crutches despite the stiffness ....
 11/21/2004 09:38 PM

Author Icon
Anonymous2

I'd like to share my experience with my surgeries. Twelve years ago I had part of my meniscus removed and had a lot of pain until 6 years ago when I had another tear and had surgery again. I had pain from the day of the first surgery and was glad to have another surgery 6 years later. I had the second surgery done a local University and the surgery was great. I did have holes drilled in my bone to form scar tissue and except for the first week, which I had little pain, I have been pretty good. A few weeks ago I was exercising and my knee began to swell and I couldn't walk on it. I went to the University, had x-rays done and received a shot of cortisone. I didn't feel I had torn the little meniscus that I had left because the symptoms were not like the two previous injuries. My pain this time was from a Baker's cyst. I've had this cyst since my second tear but since it couldn't be seen during the surgery it couldn't be taken out. Over the past 6 years I have had stiffness in my leg but I wouldn't say it was pain. I do have arthritis in my knee and I'm sure that does account for most of the stiffness. I will be getting a TKR in the future. I do have the option of getting Synvic injections should I choose to help with the stiffness. I'll be seeing the doctor in a month to discuss this. The symptoms I had from the cyst were pain in the calf and thigh, sometimes very intense and sharp.
 11/09/2004 08:36 AM

Author Icon
shiinshi@yahoo.com

I agree, it is sounding more common. I have not found anything really concrete to support this theory of mine. Take care and good luck.
 11/07/2004 12:49 PM

Author Icon
Boatguy

So have you found out any thing else, i have read in other sites and its sounding more common.
 11/06/2004 03:31 AM

Author Icon
shiinshi@yahoo.com

I have not found adefinite answer to this, but my guess is that all of this might be due to the fact that since part of the meniscus has been reduced, there is more stress on the remianing meniscus to wieght bear, and possible grinding of the bones. Again, this is what I think it could be given the fact that we all seem to share similar symptoms from a similar procedure. Take care and good luck.
 11/05/2004 11:20 PM

Author Icon
Derrik

I am 3 weeks also into recovery from my arthroscopic surgery (medial meniscus). Began light jogging and am having terrible pain in my calf as well. I went to the hospital and had an ultrasound done b/c the doc was afraid it could be a blood clot. But that came up negative. I'm still unclear as to why mine is in so much pain...have you found out anything?
 11/05/2004 09:16 PM

Author Icon
Boatguy

I am 3 weeks after my meniscus repair, after surgey my wife and I moved to Florida from Wisconsin, I drove a U-haul 4 days.Dumb I know, but my question is similar to yours,I have had pain in my calf since sugury. Deep pain, wake me up stuff. Has anyone else experienced this?
 09/26/2004 11:49 AM

Author Icon
shiinshi@yahoo.com

Thanks for the insight AWR. I can relate to the meds, I've taken Vioxx, Bextra, and even Celebrex, but would rather try to stay away as much as possible, they really upset my stomach causing me blisters in the mouth. I can also relate to being the feet all day, eventhough in my line of work it fluctuates. I am surprised that they did not opt for a donor replacement. There is also the option of Human Growth Hormones, so you might want to check this out. Take care and good luck.
 09/26/2004 10:25 AM

Author Icon
AWR45

Hi and thanks for the response. It was a total meniscusectmy. The surgeon did a little "drilling" to stimulate the psudo cartilage. He said I could return to work in two weeks. At the two week check he wanted me to work just 4 hours but I am a nurse on the night shift and we had been very short staffed and I just couldn't do it. It did swell and throb after a shift but I figured working twenty hours (3 and 2) I would have plenty of other days to rest it. Unfortunately many times we rarely have a chance to sit at work and are on our feet for 8 plus hours at times. He had told me meniscus tears rarely heal themselves and the pain would just be getting worse (before the surgery). I had waited long enough and could barely walk it hurt so much. I just started some Vioxx so I am hoping this will just resolve on it's own. It been a year and a half since the surgery. It took the full six months to really feel normal again...not what I was expecting. He did say after the surgery that it takes that long for the pseudo cartilage/scar tissue to grow in and that it would take that long. He said he was kind of surprised at how much pain I had as the surgery was cut and dry...no pun intended. I have had abdominal surgery and Caesarean so I know what pain feels like and feel I am not a wimp for the most part. Any other comments are appreciated. Sincerely, AWR
 09/26/2004 09:26 AM

Author Icon
shiinshi@yahoo.com

Should have elaborated on the menistectomy question. Was it partial of full? Take care and good luck.
 09/26/2004 09:25 AM

Author Icon
shiinshi@yahoo.com

Hi AWR, if you don't mind the questions, how long after the procdedure did you return to work? Did you have a menistectomy? If so, did they consider replacing the meniscus removed? Have you considered HGH as an aternative to help grow new cartilege? I'm due for a scope to recon my acl, and "fix" my meniscal tear. I say "fix" cause not even my OS is 100% sure of the damage until he goes in. Good luck and take care.
 09/25/2004 06:59 PM

Author Icon
AWR45

I was told that my torn meniscus needed to be removed and that repair was usually not successful. I had the removal of the torn meniscus and it took the 6 months of pain etc. to feel better. It has been good until now. It has been over a year and all of a sudden I am having the same pain as if I had torn the meniscus. The ortho drilled to stimulate pseudo scar tissue formation which would mimic the meniscus (or that is how I understood it). I had a fair amount of pain for a while (more than he thought I should have). I am a nurse and went to work part time two weeks after but would run for 9 to ten straight hours with much swelling and throbbing after the shift. After 6 months things were good, til now. Anybody have an idea what could be wrong now? Everything else looked good in the knee according to my surgeon. Thanks for any advice. AWR
 09/23/2004 11:21 PM

Author Icon
shiinshi@yahoo.com

THanks JS, it gives some light at the end of the tunnel (hopefully it's not a run away train for me). My OS tells me that until they scope my right knee, they can't really determine just how big my tear really is. Nonetheless, they've got to go in to replace my ACL. At least I get to kill to birds with one stone... Take care and good luck.
 09/22/2004 09:31 PM

Author Icon
foggybean

Well, I myself was in so much pain from tears in the meniscus in the left and the right knee. That I couldn't wait to see if they would heal in time. Every time I sat down or got up, or layed down I hollered out in pain in both knees. I had my meniscus that was torn in my left knee trimmed off in July 14th surgery. Then in September 18th I had my meniscus in my right knee pulled together with pins that will desolve eventually after they have done there job and held the meniscus together to heal. The right knee is iffy, the DR. says, "It may not hold, and if not more surgery to just cut off the torn portion". Time will tell. They have came a long way, my knees recovery. And they have alot more healing to go. But most importantly , they are much less painful now. Happy Healing All, JS
 09/22/2004 07:46 PM

Author Icon
shiinshi@yahoo.com

WOW that sounds amazing! I had never heard of that, but again, I could be mistaken. Could it have been that the MRI was misleading that there was a tear, when there may not have been one? My apologies for sounding dumb, but since I have a large lateral tear in my meniscus (along with a complete ACL tear) I was wodnering if in time (alterantive surgical option) they could heal themselves rather than face the bleak idea of a recon surgery. Anyway, thanks for the insight. Take care and good luck.
 09/22/2004 01:21 PM

Author Icon
bridge1

I too was under the impression that the meniscus could only be repaired with surgery. I was wrong. Ten days ago I had ACL reconstructive knee surgery. In pre-op my OS told me he had just had another looked at my MRI and he would repair the partial tear of my medial meniscus. Post-op he says the tear healed itself and my meniscus was '' completely intact''. I had my surgery 5 months after my ski accident and the MRI was done 1 week after the accident. Up until the time of sugery I could not squat down ( like a baseball catcher) or do a complete quad stretch and I always assumed this was as a result of my meniscus tear. Apparently not. Any thoughts..........
 09/01/2004 09:21 AM

Author Icon
shiinshi@yahoo.com

According to my limited understanding is that menisci do not regenerate themselves eventhough I have yet to go through this surgery. I have a torn lateral meniscus and ACL so I will be going through it soon enough. However, unless you had some sort of stitching or shaving off of slight tear, I do not understand why you would be given "clips" to hold anything in place. I got the funny feeling that your pain could be produced perhaps by one of those clips that may have fallen out of place - especially since you stated that they (doc) would see if it held or not. You might want to check this out sooner than your scheduled appointment to avoid possible complications. You might want to go see another doctor to get a second opinion just in case. Good luck and take care.
 08/31/2004 05:37 PM

Author Icon
foggybean

I had a torn medial meniscus in my left knee and had the scopic surgery done July 14th, they trimmed off the torn part. I also had a medial meniscus tear in my right knee. So I just had this scopic surgery done August 18th. They put in a couple of clips to try to hold this tear till it goes back together. The DR. said, he wasn't sure if it would hold or not. If not another surgery. Well, it has only been 2 weeks today since the surgery but I am limping around something terrible. The pain behind my leg where it bends together at the top is killing me when i walk. I still can only bend my knee so far, it is very stiff. I am so disappointed with it. I can't do anything. I go back to my Ortho in 2 weeks to see how it is doing, but i was in so much pain last night I almost went to the ER. My question. Has anyone had this kind of pain and stiffness 2 weeks after there scopic meniscus surgery? I don't know if something is wrong or what. Thanks, Jill
 07/23/2004 12:16 AM

Author Icon
Boonhang

Meniscus tears dont heal on their own without surgery. But after a few weeks when the swelling and pain subsides, your knee can feel normal. Until you lock it up.
 06/23/2004 12:30 PM

Author Icon
vikki23

can any one tell me how long it takes for meniscus tear to heal. I am two weeks from the injury and am still in pain level 10 and can not bend the knee. I had Mri and have a lot of pain in mcl ligament as well. I am presently out of work and have just seen PT and am going a couple times a week. I am on crutches with evelevated knee for relief. Please help
 06/22/2004 09:58 PM

Author Icon
ak47sarah

I had the same problem after the surgery and my doctor put me on ultracet which eliminated the pain and stiffness.
 06/02/2004 07:38 AM

Author Icon
marchem

I am almost 14 weeks post-op on a repair of my left medial meniscus. I have been going to therapy for 10 weeks and have begun to run for a few minutes at a time. Recently, (during the past two weeks) my knee feels stiff in the front under the kneecap, with some pain - especially doing stairs, running, etc. I go back to the doctor on June 23rd, but in the meantime have been worried about what the pain/stiffness is. I also have numbness down my shin where the saphenous nerve was aggravated during surgery (hopefully this will go away!). Can anybody offer any insight into my recent bout of stiffness and pain? Thanks!

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Female vs Male ACL Injuries
Female vs Male Athletes ACL Injury Rate
Dr. David Marshall, for Club House GAS, discusses the high rate of ACL ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper

Dr. Robert Klapper:

Preventing Knee Surgery
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy