Topic Title: Manipulation of the Knee
Created On: 09/30/2006 01:58 PM

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

09/16/2013 11:05 AM

Author Icon
Notyetagolfpro

Mrszozzer,Wow. Your experience with the NHS sounds dreadful... I had heard that there were enormous waits to get replacement knees/hips under government-run single payer systems like the NHS in the UK and the Canadian system, but 10 years?!? And the only rehab is crutches??What if you took some of the recommendations from here and elsewhere and got your local councilman/woman or the local paper to support you in getting adequate treatment- is that possible? NYAGP
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 09/14/2013 10:39 AM

Author Icon
Mrszozzer

The NHS don't lend anything out to people, only things we get are crutches, my 10 year wait was by the NHS kept saying "I was to young come back in another 6 months time and we will see how it is" until the consultant left and i got a new one he then left and I ended up with the one I've got now, I had never seen him before & it was my first appointment with him and he agreed there & then he would do the replacement. Went to see the GP the other day and considering I can hardly walk he was going to give me a fitness to work certificate so I rand my consultants secratary and she under no circumstances must I return to work until my follow up appointment on the 11th Oct.....Here in the UK the NHS is getting really bad...
 09/11/2013 10:57 PM

Author Icon
Notyetagolfpro

Mrszozzer, Will your local NHS provide you with a CPM machine? My knee problems are different but I know that some have had good results using one (a CPM machine) post TKR. I saw a doctor on here quoted as saying that 120 degrees ROM is about the best you can expect, but it sounds like that would work for you... Also some possibly hopeful news from the post ACL rebuild experience of some in recovering ROM- On a side note, 10 years wait for an operation? Wow... What that your choice? Or imposed by your NHS?? NYAGP
 09/11/2013 09:35 AM

Author Icon
Mrszozzer

I'm under my local NHS I'm not private, but considering I have been waiting 10 years to get this operation & I was so looking forward to a new lease of life. I have been of work for 10 months now and if my knee does not improve any and i don't return soon there is a possibility I actually may loose my job so this is adding to my stress. Been to see physio this morning & she HURT me badly and during the manipulation the consultant got it to 0-100 degrees but this morning nearly a week post op Bending is now at 80 & flexion is at 20 this happened after my first Manipulation, my consultant did write to my GP to say he would try a second Manipulation but did have reservations whether it would work or not. Just gonna keep up with the exercises (There is only so much someone can do in a day). I'm back to see the consultant on the 11th October so will update on what he has to say.
 09/10/2013 04:59 PM

Author Icon
50GreenDodge

(this showed up separate from the post I was replying to, which on my screen is the post directly below my post. So if you wonder what I'm talking about, that's it.)Something seems screwy to me. I've had 3 total knee replacements (5 total knee operations in my life) and everything I've learned tells me they discharged you way too soon from the hospital.My docs always wanted me to achieve at least 105 degrees of flex before it was time to go. With insurance coverage the way it is now, they want to get you out of the hospital in 4-5 days, so meeting that standard meant a LOT of cranking on the CP-M machine. Now, I hear they're not so fond of the machine as they were, but they still want maximum flex. Sixty degrees doesn't get it. Whoever in the unholy three - hospital, insurer and surgeon - decided to let you go is, in my mind, liable for the subsequent distress you have.I'm having my own issues with the replacement I had done in Feb 2013 (same as you, noted). There is slippage and failure to bond between the femur and the device. This is becoming chronic in my right knee, because that is what led to the removal of my initial device. Good luck, man. Your situation sucks. Like me, you may be looking at a "revision."

09/10/2013 02:52 PM

Author Icon
Mrszozzer

Hi I'm new to this site.I had a TKR in november 2012, things didn't go well right from the begining I saw my consultant after 6 weeks and I told him how much pain I was having but I got told this was normal, In Feb 2013 he decided I needed a manipulation doing as I could not get the knee fully extended or to bend it past 60 degrees I was doing my exercises 5x daily. The manipulation did not work so when I went back to see him I yet again told him how much pain I was still in and that it felt like Bone pain not muscle, he told me to come back and see him in 8 weeks time and to continue with my physio & hydrothereapy which I have but my physio tried to get my leg extended but gave up and said that there was NO GIVE in the joint at all. Eight months post op I was still on strong pain medication. I went back yet again to see the consultant who then decided to give a manipulation one more go which I had done on the 5th September and was put on a bending machine for 24 hours, I have been keeping up with all the exercises they gave me to do I'm now in more pain than before the TKR and feel I have got no where with my progress, I'm still getting the "Bone Pain" but the consultant says the X-rays look normal but they won't do a bone scan until I'm 18 months Post Op. All this is really getting me down & I'm only 45.
 06/08/2013 06:58 PM

Author Icon
gottarun13

I'm 5.5 weeks post-op after ACL recon w/hamstring. I too, have been stuck with limited range of motion. I was at 40 at 2.5 weeks and finally got to 55. I was stuck then at 55 for 2 weeks and just barely got it to 60. Because of this I am still on crutches. I too, don't want to be considered giving up, but I am doing my PT regularly, doing my home exercises etc and just not getting anywhere. I will say there was a delay in my PT of about 5 days initially due to blood rush in my shin. Anyway, the OS really feels, at this point, I'm probably not able to make it to 90, much less 110. He's recommending manipulation for me coming up in a week. How did your manipulation go? What was recovery like? Was swelling or pain bad? I just really want to have a full idea of what to expect.....even the bad & ugly of it if there is any.I hope your surgery was a HUGE success.Thank you!!
 04/22/2013 02:05 PM

Author Icon
johnteylor

Previously, knee replacement surgeries were reserved for very old patients who were severely crippled by osteoarthritis. "Now patients in their 40s and 50s are experiencing an earlier onset of osteoarthritis that affects their daily lives.

03/11/2013 12:21 AM

Author Icon
Csteltz

I HAD A LATERAL MENISCAL ALLOGRAFT AND AUTOLOGOUS CHONDROCYTE IMPLANTATION SURGERY ON DECEMBER 17th of 2012. I WAS PROGRESSING FAIRLY WELL BUT HAVE HIT A WALL FOR THE LAST 3-4 WEEKS. This was my 8th operation on my left knee and 3rd since December 14th of 2011, all related to the lateral meniscus and articular cartilage. I spoke to numerous PT facilities and put feelers out and I could not locate 1 therapist that had rehabbed a patient with both procedures done at once and no therapists could find other fellow therapists that had rehabbed anyone either.I am 33 years old, therefore, no OS seemed too thrilled with the prospect of a total knee replacement at this time. Thats a whole nother story. Anyway, I have literally been stuck at about a range of motion in the 95 degree range for the last few weeks and my OS is giving me until March 26th to make significant improvements or else he will have to perform the manipulation. It is brutally frustrating to bust my butt at PT and at home and get absolutely no results for the better part of a month. I dont wanna seem like i am giving up cuz I am still working hard but I am pretty resigned to the fact I will be having the manipulation in a few weeks. I am kinda uneasy about the whole thing but I understand if it isnt done the motion may never come back. I am just trying to get a round about timetable as to how much more time will be tacked on to the 3 months I have already been recovering???
 10/22/2012 06:30 PM

Author Icon
texmex51

Hello Heavn216

My knee manipulation went great, I was put under when I woke up I felt some pain and was a little brused up, I went back to work a few weeks ago, but wasent ready to yet needed some more recovery time since I work as a A/C Tech, very phisical work, but it was well worth it. It does get to me to the point of time I was drained and mentaly tired, I was told by my Doctor that there will be good days and bad days. so take care and good luck. keep a positive atitude.
Mark 51
 10/22/2012 05:51 PM

Author Icon
boldknight

Thanks for info..Going in on Wednesday for Manipulation!
 08/14/2012 12:58 PM

Author Icon
texmex51

Thanks for your information I will be getting my knee manupulation done on august 15, I am so tired of all the pain, but with your incoragment I think I will be okay. thanks again.
 08/30/2011 10:05 PM

Author Icon
prarie3071

I had a total knee replacement (TKR) on July 18, 2011. I had some complications due to the anesthesia, and ended up in the hospital longer then expected. I came home on oxygen and catheter for approx. 2 more weeks. I had in home nurse and PT twice a week. Needless to say, I got off to a slow start. I saw my OS at the 4 week point, and he was not pleased with my progress thus far. I am now scheduled for aggresive PT for poor (ROM) range of motion. He has already spoken the "M" word to me, and said that if he did not see significant change by the 8 week mark, then he would be recommending manipulation. Needless to say, I'm scared to death, as I listened to someone who told me nothing but horror stories. Even tho I am still scare, it has helped to read the comments that many of you have freely shared. I'm 54, single, and recently lost my son. Between trying to recoup my health and experiencing over whelming grief, this has been an up hill struggle. I pray that I will continue to heal as needed and if manipulation is required, that I will embrace the help to move forward with my life. Once again thank-you for sharing the positive words, and experiences. I will keep you up to date with the process and progress. God Bless.
 04/26/2008 11:20 AM

Author Icon
orion

Me on 3/18/08...for the right knee, surgery done on 2/21/08...was given a light anthestic...they bent the knee, took a picture which I have...I had no pain afterward...ROM increased dramatically...wish they would of done that to the first one...different doctor.
 04/26/2008 07:42 AM

Author Icon
Heaven216

Eleanor I am so happy for you that your manipulation went well. I felt the same way when I had my done. According to the OS it only takes 10 minutes tops. He said it takes longer to put you out, then the manipulatin itself. You have the right set of mind, to continue, continue those excerise, don't let that scar tissue set in.The more you bend the less chance it has to settle in.Vic, my OS said back then, that the reason they normally wait until 3 months after surgery, is because the scartissue is still bearing to "rip" (hate that word) if it hardens too much then you have to go into surgery and physically have it removed.Eleanor keep up the good, work, I felt like I started all over with my manipulation.Evelyn
 04/25/2008 10:44 PM

Author Icon
vlc549

Eleanor....good for you on your manipulation. Can you tell me how far out can you be before they do a manipulation. I am at the 2 yr mark and I think it is toooo late for one. I asked at 3 months, 6 months, 9 months and OS said BKR were fine...at the year mark he said it was too late. GO FIGURE !!! Vlc Vicki
 04/25/2008 07:00 PM

Author Icon
rainboots

Just had manipulation this morning.Was nervous going in.In operating room at 7:45 a.m, put under with general anesthetic at 7:50 a.m., opened my eyes in recovery room at 8:05! I was told I could go home by 9 a.m. Prior to surgery I was concerned with nausea and pain. My anesthetist was excellent.I have had several surgeries and I never vomited once this time. I had severe arthritis at age 18 and as a result need knee replacement. Prior to TKR surgery I could barely bend to 60 degrees.After TKR I could barely bend to 60 with extreme painful physio.It felt like a big band tightly wrapped around my knee when I stood or bent the knee.My knee was quite sore when I came out of surgery this morning, like a burning pain in the knee. Pain meds took care of that. I had no swelling at all. Today I can bend on my own at least to 90. I am sure give it a day and I should be over 100!! They took me to the car in a wheelchair. My husband drove me home, which took 1 hour and I was totally fine. I had 20 stairs in the house to get up. With the help of my crutches and my railing, I made my way up no problem. I am moving around the house slowly but it is totally manageable. I would expect within the next day or two I should have the same pain as I had before the manipulation only now I can bend it without the wall up in front of me!!! Don't be scared, it really is a piece of cake and wished it had been done sooner.I have read stories where this is harder than child birth!!! It wouldn't even come close to that. I have been doing my bending exercises at home to maintain the bend every 2 hours. Right now I don't have pain medicine in me and don't feel a need and it is only 4 p.m. same day as manipulation. I hope this helps other people having a manipulation and eases their mind. If anybody has other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Take care.Eleanor
 01/07/2008 05:08 PM

Author Icon
ghettopreacher

Well I had my knee Manipulation and at first it was bending ok I had a ROM of about 85 and then it started reducing to 77 in which ithat is were I am @ know I can straighten my leg by force and I also have the CPM Machine in which I use for about a hour @ a time I tell you what things are not going the way I would like for them to go and I am @ wits end now have any one eevr heard of a second Manipulation cause that is were I feel I am heADED...
 11/15/2007 07:52 AM

Author Icon
Heaven216

Hello subzero,I copy and pasted a post I put on back in November after my manipulation, hope it helps. There are so many other experiences on this forum for information in the search that may be able to assist you. Please keep us posted...Evelyn11/08/2006 09:07 AM Heaven216Posts: 99Joined: 09/24/2006 Hello everyone,Thank you all for your prayers and especially to Vic and Morko, I guess God was listening.....lolWell, I went in on Monday and because they had to give me a shot in my main nerve on each of my legs, and it would take some time for them to wake up.......... my OS had me stay overnight.The procedure was FANTASTIC........ (because I did not feel a thing, lol)when I woke up in the recovery room, they had my legs in this iceman machine, which is great, becasue you just wrap it, put ice in the bucket and plug it in.... you can leave it all night long....Anyway, I was so scared of the pain I was going to encounter, especially with everyone warning me about it. In which my OS suggest I go to PT right from the hospital so they could work on my legs while they were numb. Due to traffice and the discharge from the hospitol I could not make the time they gave me but had to go later that night ..... so, being in a panic about the pain, I decided to take my morphen pill, (just in case) but, to my shocking surprise, I have not had any "MAJOR" pain.......... I do not know if my nerves are still numb, but thepain I feel is the norm. I still have the stiffness, but not like everyone has stated....I went in with ROM 65 & 68, my OS said he got me at 120..... and when I went to PT I was 85 & 90I asked my PT that how could I have gone that low from one day.... and she indicates that now there is swellen again and scar tissue grows very fast...... that is why we must CONSTANTLY BE MOVING our legs, not to allow the scar tissue to grow...... she said not to worry, that we will increase those numbers...Today, for the first time, I was able to get on my stationary bike and go all around on the foot pedal.... not smoothly, but I did it... yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhFor one thing, I am not going to allow my legs to get that stiff again, The minute I feel the stiffness, what I do is excerise, nothing major, but I have these steps my hubby made me and I go up and down on those for a while.I think that when you get still, it is the joint, muscle, etc, letting you know that it went back to the oriningal state. Because I know that when I excerise, and I stop it feel like a rubber band in it pulling back again................Well guys, nice being back and once again thank you for your prayers.
 11/15/2007 12:49 AM

Author Icon
sugar4598

Hi, Had a TKR on May 21, 2007, and have been 18 weeks into therapy and is now 6 months after surgery. I was told by doctor that the manipulations have not been too successful because of inflamation. Did anyone have a manipulation after TKR six months after surgery?? I was also told they couldn't put pain medication in the knee because of the apparatus. Now I need to find out from a pain management doctor what medication would be helpful. I know when my knee buckled and I fell down the stairs that the pain was excruciating since I bent the knee in doing so. Unfortunately it didn't do anything to the scar tissue which must be packed around the knee cap. I was also wondering if any doctor had you have a MRI before bending the knee? I would think that would be helpful to see how bad the scar tissue is and where it is located. I only have between 70 & 80 degrees and since I am not walking properly my back is killing me. I have no pain in the knee and have worked very hard at therapy, but none of the therapists could get past those degrees. I would appreciate if anyone had this manipulation after six months to let me know how it turned out and what medications were used for manipulation and inflamation. Got to get my life back. Use to be golfer, exerciser and walker. Help!!!!
 09/20/2007 06:33 PM

Author Icon
seapoodles

Thank you soooo much for this info!!!! I had ACL allograph replacement on Feb.2 2007 and After 47 PT sessions, I still can't straighten my knee and it hurts. On Nov. 16th I am having the manipulation and meniscus repair. I am pretty scared since the last surgery was child birth times 1,000!
 08/12/2007 03:12 PM

Author Icon
vlc549

Hi Everyone, How long into BKR can you have manipulation.??? I know I am too far out. I am 13 months out. My OS surgeon when I was 6 or 7 months into the recovery...said it was too late for a manipulation. I know I have scar tissue. I know it is way too late now. Like one of you I could not wear the CPM machines...they wrapped my legs with ace bandages while in the hosp. and the nurses wrapped them too tight and caused major blisters on my feet. This set me back too...took me longer to heal. Still being home for 9 months the blister scabs started coming off the bottoms of my feet. With my legs being so short the CPM were rubbing blisters on my feet slipping down in them. Took my PT in the hosp. to convince them to take the CPM off...not bending my knees at the right places. Glad infection did not set in. My question is WHAT IS THE LONGEST AFTER BKR can they do manipulation ?? Anyone know?? LOVE YOU ALL AND HANG IN THERE...IT WILL GET BETTER. Vicki Vlc
 08/09/2007 04:25 AM

Author Icon
subzero

snowwbuni,Our circumstances are indeed very similiar. Although, your infection certainly seems much more severe than mine. I only suffered one more small set-back following the infection. After the infection, and the scabbing (ewww!) really got into full swing, I noticed one day that one scab seemed "different" than the others. After some poking and prodding at it myself, I decided that the doctor should probably have a look. And wouldn't you know it...it wasn't a "scab" at all. It was a tendon stitch sticking out of the wound. The doctor had to attach a clamp and pull on it, then cut a small length off and tuck it back inside the incision so it could then scab over. That scab has yet to fully heal.On a better note. It appears that I have been able to avoid a manipulation. With more intensive PT, I am now at 128degrees and still progressing. I saw the doctor this past monday, and he is pleased with my progress. Whew!snowwbuni,Even with your set-backs and your bout with anger at the doctors and such, and losing your job, you seem to have a very hopeful and optimistic attitude. A very important thing to have on the road to recovery. I sincerely wish you the very best, and hope all your goals are realized! You are in my thoughts.
 08/08/2007 10:52 AM

Author Icon
snowwbuni

Hi Subzero & All Knee Manipulation Post-ers:I want to say thanks because I don't know that I could have walked in there to that surgery center one week ago this morning for my manipulation had I not found a real people forum on knee manipulation on the internet at 5 a.m. that day.I had an ACL reconstruction (cadaver method) March 29 after I tore my ACL at a grade 2 and my MCL at a grade 1 in a skiing accident on the moguls on Feb. 11. To make a long story short, while the operation was successful, the aftermath was not. I was wrapped too tightly, recovery room nurses told me to keep the dressings wrapped the way they were too long (7 days instead of the 2 it should have been), I bled internally, I caught celluliitis (a life threatening skin infection) and my skin ruptured into blood blisters.Needless to say, that meant I couldn't get to physical therapy until three weeks after. Which put me WAY behind in bending and rehab. While PT made it possible to get off crutches in seven weeks, to drive again, stand up in my best friend's wedding, and enjoy a summer Michael Buble concert, I was still bending at meerly 70 degrees. This from a girl whose old yoga knees probably bent to at least 140 if not more (more than the average girl). In those first three months, I had lost my job due to such complications. But I had to move forward knowing that, I can always get a job, but I won't ever be on this road again with my knee - or have this opportunity to work on it. I can get another job. But can I get another leg? No. In the first two months of PT, I got to exercising five hours a day with the physical therapists exercises. I made myself sick trying. My blood blisters did not even close up until the four month mark so this made the situation for the PT very difficult. I took exercise down to two on advice of many second opinions once the three month mark hit and manipulation really seemed iminent. I suffered extreme emotional and physical difficulties as a result and the idea of manipulation sounded absolutely absurd! Subzero, I completely understand when you say manipulations sounds like too much to bear!! Because I felt this way too!! I was angry at all doctors, nurses, etc. But the nurse neighbor who lives next door, I told her about it and she said "manipulation is very very minor in comparison to what you've already had done." And yes, she's right. While manipulation is not the optimal choice (you always hope your exercises can do the trick in those first three critical, critical months), if you're at three to six months and it's not past 90 and/or seems just like it's not budging, it's definitely a big consideration. I asked my doctor, will I have long term problems as a result of manipulation. He said it was more likely I would have them without manipulation. It's an uphill battle I would say for sure after the four-month mark out from surgery. And six months is chancing it but I think anyone looking at that needs to crack down on at least two hours of exercise a day.I read something that said the three month mark is where the knee should at least be getting past 90 degrees. And a doctor described scar tissue to me as like concrete - it starts to set at the three month mark like glue. I had heard some with six months out from surgery can't get the manipulation worked out successfully. I think in all situations, please please do any pt exercises you have for at least two hours a day. I did this and at my 4-month mark out from my acl surgery, I walked into manipulation and the doctor was done in 5 minutes without having to open me up. I'm on a CPM machine bending to 120 right now. On my own, I start out at 110 which is miles above where I was but still 30 degrees below where I was before. Subzero, I particularly empathize with your story because at the moment of my injury, I was sure, sure I'd broke at the knee. I think by chance or miracle, it was only an acl. But I know, know what you mean when you are describing your injury. Because that is what I had been certain I'd done. I hope you did opt manipulation if the doctor recommended it in your last appointment in July. For whatever reason that late March/early April surgery time wasn't quite lined up in the stars as a fortunate time. I'm more of a religious person and believe that somehow, whatever suffering I have here on earth will put me closer to eternal life. And that God wouldn't give this to me if I couldn't take it. "Why me" should be replaced by, why not me. I can handle this, get through this, and be better for it in the end. While I don't have my yoga knees back yet, I am a ton more hopeful. I got back on the bike yesterday which is so important after acl surgery or manipulation. A friend of mine got back on her bike the two days after her 2nd acl surgery. No way could I have done that with my infection. But you're all blessed if you escape surgery as one of the 80 percent nothing happens to with infections. You're blessed if you can climb onto that bike. it's important to "get it going" a lot right after on bikes or nustep or step machines. I'm hopeful to get my knees both back to 140. I think I can do it
quote:
Originally posted by: subzeroI'm also looking at knee manipulation (well...the doctor is looking at it). I can't say I'm real thrilled with the idea. I broke my leg (at the knee) in early April, and had reconstuctive surgery about 1.5 weeks later. I now have 2 metal plates, and 18 screws holding my leg together. Due to the severity of the injury and a subsequent infection of one of the incisions, my pt was delayed longer than it should have been.As of yesterday, my flexion was a steady 57 degrees, with a one time (very painful) max of 64 degrees. Now I have 4 weeks til my next dr appt to improve or he's going to recommend manipulation. The thought of being knocked out, and having my leg forcefully bent is almost more than I can bear to imagine. It has helped to read some of your success stories, and I wish you all the very best and speedy recoveries.
 06/21/2007 07:31 PM

Author Icon
subzero

I'm also looking at knee manipulation (well...the doctor is looking at it). I can't say I'm real thrilled with the idea. I broke my leg (at the knee) in early April, and had reconstuctive surgery about 1.5 weeks later. I now have 2 metal plates, and 18 screws holding my leg together. Due to the severity of the injury and a subsequent infection of one of the incisions, my pt was delayed longer than it should have been.As of yesterday, my flexion was a steady 57 degrees, with a one time (very painful) max of 64 degrees. Now I have 4 weeks til my next dr appt to improve or he's going to recommend manipulation. The thought of being knocked out, and having my leg forcefully bent is almost more than I can bear to imagine. It has helped to read some of your success stories, and I wish you all the very best and speedy recoveries.
 06/18/2007 07:54 PM

Author Icon
Heaven216

Please read my original posting on manipulation... Hope it helpsTopic Title: Back from ManipulationTopic Summary: BTKRCreated On: 11/08/2006 09:07 AM
 06/18/2007 07:47 PM

Author Icon
Heaven216

As per my OS... what occurs is that scar tissue builds up and hardens.... and that is why your knee will not have the range of motion you should have. When you have a manipulation, your OS will assist you in bending the knee as far as possible and release the scar tissue that has harden. That is why it is IMPERATIVE to have therapy and excerise those knees. I and normally I have not heard of anyone who has had a manipulation and has suffered more.... if anything, everyone has been happier that they did it.You will be sedated, so when you are released from the hospitol, you should not be in any more pain than what you went in with. The difference..... you can bend your knees. But there is no incesions, so you should be able to walk with a walker just to help with your balance... but your OS will tell you.The main thing is..... It really is not more than what you are going through... at least my experience...You already went through the "Major" surgery and you survived that....you will surely survive this.... this is a piece of cake....... You can ask the dr for some pain meds if it makes you feel more comfortable. But look forward to bending the knees and keeping them bent. So if you worked hard in therapy, you now will have a head start with a better range of motion and your work will be worth it.Please keep us inform.... you will be in my prayers..... and look forward to working those legs....Eve
 06/18/2007 03:10 PM

Author Icon
earthlady

I just got back from a os visit. He wants to do the manipulation. I have a choice go home the same day or stay over night with an epidural and cpm machine with pt therapy. I think I will choose the epidural. I know I wil be a big baby if I came home the same day and had to go to pt therapy. I wish I didn't have to do this. I have been working so hard the last two weeks to get it to bend and whatever else he wanted. I would like to know I forgot to ask him what happens if I don't want the manipulation? Will it improve a little or just stay the same. Is pt therapy after this forever or maybe a couple of weeks? I know it depends on how things go and it is an individual recovery. After this are we back at ground zero the walker or will I be where I am at now walking around no cane or anything. I am fearful of the pain and the pt hoping I can get through it. I did spend a few times crying in pt because it would hurt so. I actually think Brian my pt person gave up on me after awhile. Last week I pretty much did it on my own which was fine. Any info soon would be helpful. Thank you Earthlady
 06/18/2007 07:50 AM

Author Icon
profpru

What kind of pain medication did you take? Could you work through the PT right after the manipulation. I am having one sone on Wed. and am fearful of the pain.
 06/17/2007 07:27 AM

Author Icon
profpru

I am going for a manipulation of Wednesday. Very fearful of the pain afterwards. How was your pain controlled? What kind of pain medication did you take? Were you able to work through the physical therapy afterwards? Appreciate any advise you can offer.
 06/14/2007 06:17 PM

Author Icon
Heaven216

Earthlady,The therapist are right....RELAX... I know it is nerve wrecking, but it is only because we only think it will cause more pain........ In my case..... I was also a nervous reck but I kept thinking of the hard work I was doing in therapy and the pain I was in.... that I said.... it can not (and was not) at all.... the way it was with the main surgery...... The best thing that occured to me in which I was praying for..... was to see my knee bend...and it did...... For me..... I had no more pain than what I had before the manipulation... the only thing that changed was that I was able to bend my knee.... that was so exciting for me to see my knee bend...... My doctor kept me overnight because I had to have them both done... Besides it was great for pain management. The same day that I was released from the hospitol I went straight to therapy, the Dr suggested that since I was still sedated to take advantage of the therapy...He prescribed some pain killers and it was the best thing that I did.... If I would have known that I was going to feel the way I did and that it was not all that I thought it was.... I would have done weeks before. Just remember that if you are in pain...... you might as well be in pain knowing that you are progessing in motion..... The pain will subside.... but keep in mind that you just had Major Surgery... and it takes time to heal..... Just DO NOT GIVE UP THE THERAPY OR EXCERISE..... You do not want the scar tissue to grow again....Please let us know how you are doing.... and Good Luck..... We are all praying for youEvelyn
 06/13/2007 10:56 AM

Author Icon
earthlady

HelloFirst I had my rtkr on May 1st. This is my sixth week out. Both visits to my os and he wants to do a manipulation. I go back this Friday and see what he is going to say. I know it is going to be the manipulation. I really don't want to do this. I just don't want the pain and aggressive therapy. I have been doing my regular pt but I think they gave up on me. Now I go and do it on my own which is okay. I also am doing pool therapy on my own. My bend is I think between 90-95 and my extension is I really don't know except they tell me it is not the best. I was hoping the pool therapy would help but I don't know if it is enough. What I would like to know is did you stay overnight in the hospital or did you come home the same day? How is the pain? Does therapy go better? I was the first two to three weeks of therapy anxious and would get very nervous about going. That didn't help they were always telling me to relax. As it went on I felt I got a better. i can now ride the bike forwards for up to 20 min. and go on the treadmill for a little over 5 min. I have a couple of other machines I go on for the legs. Just thinking about the manipulation gets me in tears. Please tell me about your experience with it. Thank you Earthlady
 06/02/2007 10:06 PM

Author Icon
Heaven216

I had my bk manipulation in November 06.. and I have to say, that it was the best thing I did.I was able to bend my knees better and work on therapy much better. They did not hurt anymore than what they were hurting, the only difference was that I had a better range of motion.To this day which will be almost 10 months since my bkr... I still can not bend my knees past 115...and with some soreness/stiffness but I can not compare this with what I had before. The Dr indicates that because of the manipulation, in which my tissues/were injured again... it will take some additional time for my total swollen to come down. But I am just grateful that I am not in that pain I was in before.... It takes time... but "there is" a light at the end of the tunnel.... it just looks so far away...
 06/02/2007 09:33 AM

Author Icon
ohmyknee2

Wondering how it went with the manipulation? Did it hurt? Did it help at all? Did you have to stay in the hospital overnight? How is your range on motion now?Thanks!
 05/21/2007 09:30 AM

Author Icon
mnebears

Hi, I am going in today for a manipulation after having had total replacement in March. I couldn't get it to bend past 70 with therapy, mostly due to pain and I was doing therapy 3 times a week and then a home exercise program. I was using a cane and could walk a little but just couldn't get it to bend-trying to sit normally is a big problem. I am mostly interested in knowing what the recovery period after the manipulation was like and if you continued to progress, and how you are doing this long after the manipulation.Thank you.
 10/13/2006 11:09 PM

Author Icon
laxkate22

I had the manipulation done on Tuesday and was originally supposed to stay over only one night for pain management. The only reason I ended up staying another night was because I the hospital I had the procedure in (Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC) is located across the street from where that Yankee player crashed his plane. I was unable to leave the hospital because no one was allowed to get close to the hospital to pick me up. It was so sad and tragic, but looking on the bright side, I was happy that I could stay another night and let the pain subside! I definitely DO NOT recommend leaving right after this procedure. I think the pain would be tough to handle on only painkillers. I am still sore and I must say that PT is still really hard. I had a bit of a rude awakening today but I knew it wouldnt be easy! It is still very painful to do the stretching exercises but at least I am at 112 and not 75. One more week of therapy everyday and I am hoping to be home free...I think I can I think I can....Good luck with PT and again, if you end up going in for the procedure and end up having any more questions, you know where to find me!Kate
 10/13/2006 02:14 AM

Author Icon
Heaven216

Hello Kate,I am so happy for you. I am glad that the manipulation came out good. Great feedback especially that I may have to go in. My knees are just not bending. The doctor is given me 3 more weeks of PT so lets see.....Did you request for the extra day in the hospitol or did the doctor. Cause I have heard it is a in-out surgery. Go in for a couple of hours and then you go home'Keep us posted on your progress.Evelyn
 10/12/2006 05:57 PM

Author Icon
laxkate22

Hi!So, I had a successful knee manipulation on Tuesday morning. I was really nervous going into it and I must say that I am so happy that I went ahead and did it. I was in absolute shock and awe to see my knee bend at 120 degrees on the CPM afterwards! I had an epidural and was awake during the procedure. My ortho actually did it in the recovery room and it only took about 5 minutes...thats it! I had an epidural and a little bit of twilight gas to ease my nerves during the procedure. Although I really did not want to watch it, my ortho thought it was a good idea to see the fact that my leg was bending with my own eyes! It was the strangest sensation because you dont even feel like you are looking at your own leg! Once it was all done, they inserted a painkiller drip in my epidural line that continuously flowed into me and I was also allowed to push a button to self-administer it as well...it was basically the same thing as a morphine drip. I must say that if I did not have the option to stay overnight, I would have been miserable. You really need to stay just for pain management but compared to the pain I went through after my surgery, this was nothing. 2 days later, my range of motion is about 112 but they said that is normal and I will still have to work to get the rest. It is a completely different pain though. It feels more like stretching after you have pulled a muscle whereas before it felt like I was gettig stabbed in the knee!So all in all, I HIGHLY reccommend this procedure! You still have to work hard afterwards but the hard work is much more rewarding!This post was a bit all over the place, so I apologize. I have a bit of a hard time focusing due to the percocet I am on!Any questions, just ask and I will reply! I hope you are all well!Kate
 10/10/2006 09:22 AM

Author Icon
Heaven216

Hello Laxkate22 and MorkoI will pray for you on your procedure tomorrow........and I am sure everything will turn out OK.... I am very happy to hear that they will keep you at least overnight to help you out..... the cpr machine is good because it keeps your knee in motion for you and that is what you want.....Please keep us in tune with your progress......Morko,I am glad to hear that your progress is going well....... you have to be doing something right if the the "Doc" is happy......lol
 10/09/2006 09:27 PM

Author Icon
morko

Good luck to you! I thought I was going to end up needing that done this summer, but so far have been able to keep the Dr. happy enough I haven't needed it. I do go back at the end of this month sometime, and I'm not sure that I have made any more progress.Please let us know how it goes for you and what your opinion is of the whole procedure. I haven't read much about it on here yet.Audrey

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Knee Injury Health Myths
Listen to a general overview of knee anatomy, along with a discussion ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper
Dr. Robert Klapper:
Preventing Knee Surgery
  more   more Heroes
  Nominate a Hero   Hero Policy