< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Lost ROM after therapy session from TKR in 1 day
Created On: 01/02/2009 07:53 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

01/26/2009 01:28 PM

Author Icon
jeechunk

Hi,I also have gone through the pain and decreased ROM after my knee replacements. I have 1 manipulation after my 1st TKR......and 2 manipulations after my 2nd TKR. My advise is to request an at home CPM machine from your surgeon. I used one in the hopital after my 1st manipulation on my 1st TKR and can now bend my knee 135 degrees (after 1 yr and 6 months) On my 2nd TKR, the surgeon didn't use CPM's but since I knew I was getting the 2nd manipulation, I requested it for home and he arranged for a company to come out with the machine and teach me how to use it. It's not that small, but I could carry it around my house on my own.....to bed, to the couch, where ever I was. I used it everyday for about a month post manipulation, along with therapy and 1 year later (almost to the day) I can bend my knee about 140 degrees.Talk to your surgeon, if he suggests a 2nd manipulation, request a CPM.......if he doesn't suggest another manipulation, I would still request a CPM. I found bending my knee at home, on a machine that measures the ROM, made it easier for me to set goals and really know how I'm progressing.Be strong, and don't give up!Jeena
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 01/19/2009 04:17 PM

Author Icon
timmckenna

Hi,I am sory to hear that there has been both pain and ROM loss. I am now 6 weeks out. I have been doing home PT and have started out-patient PT last week. Earlier, I posted about pain management after TKR. After visits with the OS, I was told that I had a complex surgery because of my previous surgeries, especially the first one 22 years ago. The previous surgeon cut diagonal across the knee which has made everything slower and more painful then I orginally thought. The tissue was being pulled apart because of the more horizontal cut. I digress.At home, I was slowly doing PT and got to around 115 and 7. The outpatient PT was pleased. But after the appointment. I started having an increase in the level of pain. Patly, I attribute this to having my knee "down" more without icing it. I was icing upto 6 - 8 hours. Now, I am back to icing as much as possible. The next PT appointment, I had a tough time geting one revolution on the bike.As I am a recovering alcoholic, I can honestly say that the TKR must be accepted one day at a time. That is the only thing I can do. No matter how I thought this would go, the TKR recovery is on it's own time. The pain managment has been accepting that this is painful and requires ice, elevation, pain meds, and anti-inflammatories. Even with that, I still have spikes in level and lately painful spasms. But, It really comes down to accepting what is.I now realize that somedays will be better than others. I do recommend that if there is a great change in pain levels or swelling, or chills / fever, that you make an appointment right away. Acceptance of your situation doesn't mean you should not take care of yourself. So, goodluck. You are not alone. Well, I better pull the ice off because I am frozen.Tim
 01/18/2009 08:46 AM

Author Icon
Jo-Ann

I had bilateral knee replacements on Nov 14th.The same thing happened to me. I was up to ROM 115 in left knee and 100 in right knee by first week in December. I had started feeling good and over exercised. (on my own) My left knee became painful and when I had my next physio I had dropped in the left knee to 100 and it was hard to get there. I exercised normally in the right knee but reduced the exercise in the left. Iced religiously and it too two weeks to get that leg back to 115. The muscles got overworked and shut down. Don't give up your physio and I agree you should take pain killers 45 minutes to an hour before therapy to get the best out of the session. Try not to spend time trying to find out who did what to you, accept that that knee hurts more and you are having a set back, start again.Good Luck, I am new at this site but have been reading it daily for four months before my surgery.
 01/03/2009 09:08 AM

Author Icon
nursing1

Hi Ruby:Make sure if you are having chills you do not have a fever. Call your OS if you do. The info the others have given to you is right on! Meds before PT and ice after. Sudden inflammation could be from overwork. You will find a balance. You also have a home program to follow I'm sure. PT just continues OS' orders.Take your time. It will work. Best regards.

-------------------------
Carol2for2
 01/03/2009 12:15 AM

Author Icon
vlc549

Ruby be sure and check with your PT or your OS if you think there is something wrong with your knee. Dont just let it go. ICE is your best friend. I had BTKR on May 06 which will be 3 yrs. this May. I started having trouble in Nov. 06 and called my PT and he suggested Pool Therapy. Took pool therapy from Jan. 07 until late March 07. My knees started freezing up and I have lots of Scar Tissue around both knee caps. Too late for any manipulations now. They will not clean out the Scar Tissue because it wont help..and will make me form more Scar Tissue 10 times worse. I am miserable and wish I had NEVER EVER had these knees done. The OS said maybe we should never have done them..looking back. Dont push yourself too hard...that will only hurt..and set you back Just ICE ...to this day almost 3 yrs. later...I still have to use ICE. GOOD LUCK. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Vicki Vlc
 01/02/2009 11:42 PM

Author Icon
3059nickn

Ruby,One thing I forgot to mention was to be sure to ice your knees when they get to feeling like this. Ice is your friend. I still ice mine when I have too. You will find your knee feeling warm to the touch, this is a sign they are swollen. Ice will relieve a lot of the swelling and soreness.Nick
 01/02/2009 11:37 PM

Author Icon
3059nickn

Ruby,Hi I had BiTKR in Aug of this year. I can tell you that there will be a lot of stiffness, swelling and soreness for a long time. Your knee has just gone through a tremendous amount of trama and it will take time to heal. I am four months out from my surgery and I still get stiff and sore after I work my knees out. If you think something is wrong have your OS look at your knees, but I can tell you from experience that your knees will be sore after workouts and you will have different kinds of soreness from different muscles as they heal. It will take some time, just be sure to do your PT and home excerises. It will get better I promise even though it doesn't seem like it on some days. I hope your OS has you on pain meds. They are a must to take before your PT and workouts so you can get as much work in as possible.Being only one month out fron surgery I would think you would still be on meds. The key to this surgery recovery is to do those workouts and stay with your PT. If you don't scar tissue will build up and it will be harder to get the knee to flex, That is the reason I assume that you already had a manlipulation.Be sure to come back if you have any questions. I try to check this site once a day and I am more then willing to offer any help I can. I am doing ok and am back to work fulltime. I am 56 years old. I notice you are 39, that is young for this kind of surgery but not unheard of.There is all kinds of useful information on here and everyone is willing to help you through this. We have all been there so don't hesitate to ask any question you may have.I hope yor knee gets to felling better.Nick
 01/02/2009 07:53 PM

Author Icon
RubyDLS

Hi I am 39 yrs old and had my first TKR on my left knee this Nov. 2008. I have had nothing but trouble and alot of pain after this surgery, after surgery my knee froze up and I had to have a manipulation under anesthesia done just a month after the surgery.I thought finally was getting some progress was starting to finally have good ROM was up to 118 then on Dec 30, Tues I went to therapy which my normal therapist was on vacation so had another therapist work on me of course i went through the torture walked out in tears, that night I felt something was wrong with my knee I felt tightness and swelling and my knee was not bending as far as it was used too, plus I started having sharp pains in a location I never had before and I started getting the chills.The next day I had another session scheduled which i did attend I mentioned my concerns and of course my ROM dropped from 118 to 100 in one day, and all she kept telling me was that she didn't think it was from the session just that my knee was reacting to being overworked. She did take it easy on me that day cause again I was having chills and in a lot of pain.I was scheduled for therapy again today but canceled,because I am concerned i am still getting chills my knee is stiff swollen and hardly bending at all, feels like it is freezing up again, please some advice would be helpful?

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Reducing Sport Injuries in children
Reducing Sports Injuries in Children
Learn important tips on how to avoid sports injuries, specifically for ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper
Dr. Robert Klapper:
Preventing Knee Surgery
  more   more Heroes
  Nominate a Hero   Hero Policy