< REFRESH >
Topic Title: pain/swelling above and outside knee
Created On: 03/12/2005 04:41 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

03/12/2005 11:43 PM

Author Icon
pjack18

Hi there, I have had 3 ACL reconstructions and I think I might understand what you are talking about. Before I had my first surgery, we waited a few months for the swelling to go down around the knee. During that time I experienced what you are talking about, I think. The pain wasn't always there, but in certain movements that I couldn't always predict, it showed up. It was very painful and it felt as though something was caught and things were pulling on the inside, causing decreased movement, just as you described. I experienced tendonitis as well, which probably contributed to everything, but after surgery I felt nothing of this mysterious pain. My doctor found during surgery that he found some torn cartelidge that wasn't visible on the MRI I received. He told me that the pain I experienced before surgery was more than likely this peice of torn cartelidge getting caught and causing swelling and decreased movement. Needless to say, it is well now and I have no problems with that knee. Just wait and see. I know it must be frustrating for you. Talk to your doctor about it specifically. Sometimes it is hard to tell until the dr gets in there and takes a look at what is going on. Good Luck!
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 03/12/2005 04:41 PM

Author Icon
TanyaC

I had a ski accident on 2-25-05. Bindings on my new skis didn't release and my left knee was severely twisted outwards. I've had x-rays and MRI and saw an OS yesterday. Only a "nub" is left of the ACL. The MCL is torn, and there's a slight fracture of the femur. The fracture was not obeserved on X-ray and OS says it doesn't need to be treated. The OS had also thought I had torn the meniscus, but on the MRI it looks ok. I can fully extend the knee with only some pain on full extension. I'm scheduled for ACL recon on 3-29-05. However, I still have quite a bit of swelling in an area of about 2 inch radius directly above and outwards of the knee cap. This swollen area is the main source of pain that my OS has not addressed. Its hard to the touch and seems to bulge. When both legs are extended, the same area on my good knee actually indents there. When I bend my knee past 90 degrees this area seems to get harder and feels tighter and tighter as I bend further causing severe pain. It feels like something is caught and being stretched next to the patella. I can't seem to flex past about 100 degrees without severe tightness and pain. My knee cap seems to sink into the knee as well, or tissue bulges out around it. Sharp pain shoots down where I assume the LCL or iliotibial band goes down the outside of the knee. I can't seem to find any info on these speciic symptoms or what might be injured. Maybe quadricep or quad tendon? Do you have any idea what the problem is? Would the ACL or MCL injury cause this kind of swelling, pain, and tightness? Thanks! Tanya
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis Overview
Listen as Doctor Thomas P. Sculco, Surgeon-in-Chief at the Hospital for ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper

Dr. Robert Klapper:

Preventing Knee Surgery
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy