Print this topic.

Printer friendlypage for: http://Knee1.com/forum/Iliotibial_Band_Syndrome/Too_Many_Problems_No_Answers-15729

Topic Title Too Many Problems No Answers

Date Posted: 03/29/2006 05:16 PM
Posted By: KNOWKNEES

I present problems where there seems to be no answers. Lets start with the Right leg. In 1983 I had what I believe to be bone spur removal. Can find no Medical Documentation, it was long ago and I have a 5' scar on the R-outside of the knee cap. In 2003 I had an Arthroscopy with partial medial meniscectomy and chondroplasty for Grade 3 chondromalacia. I injured myself at work and after a 3 month delay was sent to a different Orthopedic Surgeon who performed R-knee reconstruction with a hamstring graft and partial lateral meniscectomy, also found was severe DJD (Osteoarthritis) and now has developed into Grade 4 chondromalacia. I have now 1 year later developed a severe Trendelenburg gait, atrophy, and ROM of 17 to 112 due to flexion contracture of the R-knee. I am experiencing sharp tearing sensations behind the calf muscle and have found no answers or remedies. Could it be nerve damage? TKR has been suggested as an option, but I'm only 44 yrs. old. Please speculate or give me direction on what to do. PT has been unsuccessful but I can still ride a stationary bike and regular bike. Am I wasting my time?

L-knee while wearing a Don-joy brace on my R-knee and favoring it terribly I tore apart the L-knee. I had to have the L-knee reconstructed usig a patellar tendon autograft. I then had to return to the Surgeon which I was found to have Arthrofibrosis and needed manipulation under anethesia with lysis of adhesions. On the L-knee I'm still experiencing locking and I believe I'm in need of arthroscopic debridement. Is Synvisc injections an option? I am taking HEAVY Medication and its just not helping at all. 4 years ago I was dunking a basketball now I can barely walk without braces and a cane. I only use the cane 30% of the time. When stairs or prolonged sitting are ahead of me. Can anyone suggest options or possibly explain the pain in the calf region of the R-knee. This is a W/C related case with no end in sight. Possible antidots or remidies? I am loosing ground fast. Thank-You in advance...Greg

Date Posted: 03/29/2006 07:16 PM
Posted By: Daisy36396

First of all you have my sympathies...sounds painful!...

it looks like you've already been through your share of surgeries...you really have to decide where you stand on the idea of further surgery. There are docs out there that will want get you under anesthesia as soon as you walk in their office...others will tell you to avoid surgery at all cost. I think it's best to exhause all your resources before going under the knife.

If your knee is arthritic, give synvisc a chance, see if it's what you're looking for. If it works great! If it doesn't- at least when your recovering from sugery you won't be regreting not trying something else first. Ask the doc if there are chances for a knee reconstruction with your natural bones being effective (cartilage transplants, etc) before jumping into a TKR. That's really something only you and your Doc can decide. Good luck!

Date Posted: 03/29/2006 08:47 PM
Posted By: KNOWKNEES

Yes Daisey I have a total of 6 knee operations (5 in less than 2 years) the problem I find is 4 Surgeons and countless Physical Therapist cannot stop the onslaught. Both knees have been reconstructed using my own body parts Hamstring and Patellar Tendon. My R-Knee has no meniscus left and pops in and out of place. The last Surgery did it. At times I feel no legs at all would be better than what I am going through now, seriously. I am on an medication called Duragesic and another opiate and these do nothing for the constant sharp pain I feel when standing. Just sitting my joints are still on fire....I dunno....Keep plugin' along I guess. THX for the reply. Your friend Greg.