< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Patriots Welker out for playoffs
Created On: 01/05/2010 12:01 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

04/07/2010 03:37 PM

Author Icon
hillaryhoffman

I don't have any personal experience with ACL or MCL injury, but I was also surprised at first by the reported 6-month recovery timetable. It seems, though, that in some cases recovery can take significantly less than a year. According to an article written in 2002: Five years ago, athletes typically had to go through physical therapy for at least a year before they could play again. "Now, routinely, we’re putting people back in the four- to six-month range." You can read the whole article here.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 01/05/2010 12:01 PM

Author Icon
JoeMeloni

I'm sure by now, you've all seen the highlights of Patriots WR Wes Welker tearing both his ACL and MCL against Houston Sunday. This game will not be remembered for the Texans 34-27 victory, but for Welker's injury. Following the injury, it was clear that Welker knew that something was wrong. He was noticeably upset on the sideline, wiping tears from his eyes. Speculation began immediately about the likelihood of a return this Sunday in the first round of the NFL playoffs against the Baltimore Ravens, but the severity of the tears is such that the latest reports have Welker missing at least six months. Which, if you're keeping track, means he'd get back just in time for training camp next season. For someone like Welker who relies so heavily on lateral movement, what are some of the most difficult aspects of recovery? It certainly seems like the type of injury that could have some lingering effects should he rush back. When I initially heard the six-month timetable, I was a little shocked. It's always been my understanding that it's at least one year for full recovery from an injury of this magnitude, especially for a professional athlete. Even after that year, it's been suggested that it takes an athlete an additional year to regain the confidence in motion that he or she had prior to the injury. Does anyone have any experience with this? How long after your doctor told you that you could resume your normal routine did it really take for you to feel confident and comfortable again?

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Sports Readiness
Institute for Sports Medicine: Sports Readiness
Dr. Cynthia LaBella explains why a child's physical and social development ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper

Dr. Robert Klapper:

Preventing Knee Surgery
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy