Knee replacement surgery in India carries out in a number of different hospitals, including private and government-aided institutions. Also known as knee arthroplasty, the surgery Is carried out to replace the parts of the knee joints that bear weight, which gets worn out because of an injury or other conditions such as osteoarthritis of the knee and psoriatic or rheumatoid arthritis.
WHAT HAPPENS BEFORE KNEE REPLACEMENT SURGERY?
Smoking and consuming alcohol interfere with healing and slows down recovery. In addition, smoking is known to alter the flow of blood. Therefore, patients are advised to stop smoking and consuming alcohol days before the day of surgery.
An orthopedic examination, along with a few medical and diagnostic tests and general medical evaluation may be conducted a few weeks before the surgery. This is done to evaluate the overall health status of the patients and to identify factors that may pose a risk or lead to any complication during the surgery. The orthopedic examination helps doctor design an approach for the surgery.
Patients are expected to inform their doctors about any present illnesses, the medical history and the type of medications that they have been taking. Certain classes of drugs such as corticosteroids, anti-coagulants and those used for the management of diabetes may interfere with the surgery or delay recovery. Therefore, patients can expect doctors to change, stop or alter the dosage temporarily before and after the procedure.
KNEE REPLACEMENT SURGERY IN INDIA
Knee replacement surgery in India is conducted in a number of ways. The different types of knee replacement surgery conducted in India include:
- Total knee replacement: In this type of surgery, the damaged joint, surrounding cartilages and the bone are completely removed and replaced with either plastic prosthetic joint or man-made metal. The replaced parts include the femur part of the joint, the tibia part of the joint and the knee cap or patella. The replacement material mimics the function of natural knee.
- Partial knee replacement: Also known as unicompartmental knee replacement, this type of surgery is conducted when only a part of the knee or the compartment is damaged. As a result, there is no need for the entire joint to be replaced with prosthetic parts and either the tibia part, the femur part or patella is replaced.
- Bilateral knee replacement: In this type of surgery, both the knees are operated at the same time as both are affected by cartilage damage.
- Minimally invasive knee replacement: This type of surgery involves the use of specialized techniques that requires a smaller incision to be made during the procedure. As a result, it requires less hospitalization stay and it takes less time for the patient to recover.
- Revision knee replacement surgery: This type of surgery is carried out to either replace the worn out prosthetic knee joint or to remove the prosthetics that may have failed.
KNEE REPLACEMENT SURGERY COST IN INDIA
One of the biggest problems associated with knee replacement surgery in developed countries such as Canada, Australia, the United Kingdom and the United States is that patients have to wait for a long time to undergo the procedure. This is because the waiting time for the surgery in these countries is far more than countries like India, Thailand and Malaysia.
BEST HOSPITALS FOR KNEE REPLACEMENT SURGERY IN INDIA
Best knee replacement hospitals in India includes:
- Medanta The Medicity, Gurgaon
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Aster Medcity, Kochi
- Global Hospital, Hyderabad
- SevenHills Hospital, Mumbai
- Columbia Asia Yeshwantpur, Bangalore
- Dharamshila Cancer Hospital, New Delhi