< REFRESH >
Topic Title: 5 days post op ACL surgery - strange horrible pain
Created On: 01/23/2016 06:50 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

07/16/2018 06:12 PM

Author Icon
dadoody

I'm 12 years post op, but I remember that pain. 

I stretched out the percocet and vicodin for about 1 or 1.5 weeks I think. It prevented pain, but I couldn't poop for a week. 

Maybe they can give you some pain meds for it. One thing I wish I had done during my initial recovery time is to take vitamin D and Calcium supplements to speed up recovery. I didn't relize how vital those were at the time, but you're indoors recovering and not getting enough sun, and yet you need that vitamin D and calcium to heal. 

Those supplements along with excercise, rest, and good eating will help you heal fast and strong. 

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 07/14/2016 10:22 PM

Author Icon
Evinyooo

I am currently at 8 days post op acl recontstruction and am experiencing the exact same burning pain on my shin as youve described. It doesnt sound like mine is as painful as yours though but the pain describes does sound identical. The skin in this area is also numb and has been since surgery. 

02/02/2016 04:20 AM

Author Icon
arthurjames

I think you should take sufficient rest and wait for a few days. The pain may reduce after some time.

-------------------------
OrthoTexas, Frisco
 01/23/2016 06:50 PM

Author Icon
jenshadow

I had my surgery 5 days ago - using donor graft. The odd part for me has been this excruciating pain/burn at my shin. Once the nerve block wore off the pain began. It is about 3"-4" below my knee on my shin. When I move my leg at all (in the brace and out) it burns and feels like something is tearing my skin in that spot. The Dr's seem to be cinterned about a nerve issue but at the same time are wanting to take a "wait and see approach". They are assuring me that because it is not worsening and there is no discolocation of the area that it will get better. I cannot express the severity of this pain. The knee is doing great and that pain is manageable and understandable. The pain in my shin literally feels like it is on fire and being torn off. What would cause this? I am quite concerned that it will stay forever and additionally impede my progress with my knee as the PT exercises are so painful with the shin!!! 

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Bionic knee for amputees
Bionic Knee Research for Amputees
Watch as physical therapists at the University of South Florida work with ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper

Dr. Robert Klapper:

Preventing Knee Surgery
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
test