Knee1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: leg swelling after replacement surgery.
Created On: 11/08/2004 08:37 PM

07/23/2005 05:52 PM

Author Icon
saralouise

I had TKR of my right knee 4 years ago, and to this day there is still swelling. It just never seems to go away. But as far as your husbands swelling, it is too soon post op., the really severe swelling last a good 4-6 months after TKR. It is a very tramatic surg. so it take s awhile for your knee to re-cover! Good luck and happy healing!
 02/25/2005 09:05 PM

Author Icon
chachee52

Hi, I just happen to see your letter about your husbands TKR. Tell him not to be discouraged! I had a Rt.TKR March of 2003, and the swelling lasted for months. My Dr. told me that sometimes it can last up to a year. I had 2 ultra sounds for blood clots because the swelling was so bad, and thank goodness they were negative. I tried everything for the pain and swelling. Ice, Ice and more ice.Pain medication, on a pillow etc.Try tylenol pm to sleep at night, if the Dr. says it is alright. I got a few hours out of it. make sure you don't stand for a prolonged period of time, makes the swelling worse. Ice really does help and pool therapy also.Swelling seems to be one of the biggest problems of a TKR, plus pain. I hope I have been somewhat helpful.If it continues,call the Dr and tell him you can't stand it! Good luck.
 02/16/2005 09:30 AM

Author Icon
maryknees

My surgery was April, 2004 and I still have extreme swelling in both legs. The surgeon says it is not from the surgery. He thinks it is one of several things. Cardiovascular, liver or kidneys. I am going for a heart catherization next month, but the heart doctor doesn't think it is from my heart. They are still searching for the answer. Water retention was a very small part of it!
 02/15/2005 01:09 PM

Author Icon
Sallie10311894

I am getting very discourged reading these postings. My husband is 4-1/2 weeks post tkr and continues to swell so bad that he is unable to do the exercises. He also experiences extreme sharp shooting pains down the left side of his right knee (that was replaced). The dr sent him for a blood clot test last week (none found thank goodness) and he is baffled as to the reason for the swelling. Just tells him to go to PT. He can't sleep and is miserable. Any suggestions.
 11/08/2004 08:37 PM

Author Icon
maryknees

I had bi-lateral total knee replacement in April of 2004. It is now November, 2004 and I still have a temendous amount of swelling in both legs. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how long did it last and what steps did you take to get rid of it?

RSS

Does Creatine cause Hair Loss?
By singhnri123
more more Blogs RSS

5 days post op ACL surgery - strange horrible pain
By dadoody

Posted: Jul 16, 2018
I'm 12 years post op, but I remember that pain. I stretched out the percocet and vicodin for about 1 or 1.5 weeks I think. It prevented pain, but I couldn't poop for a week.  Maybe they can ...

more more Forums

Female Sport Injury
Female Sports Injuries
Learn about the increase in sports injuries among women, the causes, treatment ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper

Dr. Robert Klapper:

Preventing Knee Surgery
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy