Knee1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: Please Give Me SOme Advice.
Created On: 08/07/2008 10:18 PM

10/29/2008 01:52 PM

Author Icon
Knees_Gone_Wild

Hi Niki,

I am sorry to hear that things are difficult for you right now. I understand where you are because I was also into all kinds of sports (football, rugby, basketball, skiing, hiking, mountain biking, etc). I grew up in Alberta, Canada, and had dreams of playing football for an American college (I was being scouted in my senior year). I started having knee problems during my last year of high school and spoke to my doctor about my prognosis if I kept playing football and/or rugby. He told me that if I continued to play, I would be on a cane by the time I was 40. I was trying to be forward thinking in terms of what my future family life would be like and decided that I would rather have many years of active living with my wife and kids than a few more years on the football field. So, in the interes of my future family I gave up football. This was a very difficult choice for me, because I was very dedicated to my training, and at age 18 was 6' 4" and 235 lbs with virtually no body fat. Most people would like at a guy my size and think that I could not jump, but I was just a few inches shy of hooking my elbow over the rim when I dunked the basketball. I am not trying to toot my own horn here, just to say that I was a tuned athlete and serious about an active lifestyle.

It's a rude awakening when you discover your mortal. I am now 40, living in Texas in a beautiful area, have five terrific kids (aged 5-14), and a wife that I am crazy about, each of which is a gifted athlete. But my dreams of being active with them have vaporized. Severe Chondromalacia Patellae has robbed me of my active lifestyle and I have been forced to give ALL of my sports. When I get up from a chair I walk like a 90 year old man until my knees loosen up again. Even a 15 minute family walk will leave my knees swollen and stiff. I have been told by an orthopedic surgeon that I will need knee replacement, but for now I have to make due because I am too you to be considered a candidate. I don't know what they expect me to do until they figure I'm old enough to get new knees.

The bottom line is that chronic pain sucks, and I have suffered with depression, sometimes severe, because of it. I would like to offer you a little advice as someone that truly knows how you are feeling.

- Find a pain management doctor. There are doctors that specialize in helping people with chronic pain. You do not need to endure pain when there are doctors that can help. You need to take control of your pain and remember that you have the pain, the pain does not have you. When you get with a good pain management doctor, be very open with him/her and make sure that you respect the program they put you on, i.e. don't abuse pain killers or they will cut you off in a heartbeat.

- Express who you are in alternative ways. If your body will not do everything you would like it to, find other ways to express yourself creatively. I work with wood, make handmade knives, coach one of my son's soccer teams, etc. If you keep yourself busy, the pain will move into the background and you will find happiness through other means.

- Do things that make you feel good. Read a book, watch the sun set, meditate, and if you feel inclined pray. Take time to notice the good things around you. Chronic pain can be a great distractor from the rest of the world, but if you focus on other things it will become far less of a distractor.

- Bring a few people into your circle of trust. I would advise not to tell everyone you know about your suffering because they will come to see you as a negative person. However, identify a few people that you explicitly trust and let them know what is happening with your health and ask them if you can lean on them in times of need. Ask them before you hit a low point with the depression so that you know you have a support system when you need it.

- Develop your inner spirituality. I am not going to suggest one religion or another, though I will suggest that you strive to develop your spiritual self in a way that seems appropriate to you. My hope for you is that you will come to understand that there is a purpose in all things and I would suggest that you try to gain an understanding of what it is you are supposed to get out of this situation. It could be that this will help you develop great compassion for someone else that may come to you with a similar situation.

- Learn to think positively. Your thoughts literally have a strong influence on your brain chemistry. If you learn to seek the positive in our situation and in the world around you, you will become a happier person.

I did not intend to right a book, but your comments said something to me and I wanted to share my experience with you with the hope that you will find happiness.

Good luck,

DJ
 09/08/2008 11:15 AM

Author Icon
Silvi

Hi, Don't give up. Talk with the doctor's billing office and by all means go an see the SSI - Disability Office in your state. Another option would be to contact your congressman or senator. They should be able to help you with advise or any special programs that you may qualify for. Also have you contacted your social services department? I agree getting pregnant sounds to me like adding more proplems on your shoulders. Good Luck and be persistent.
Silvi
 08/07/2008 10:18 PM

Author Icon
sdcacowgirl

6 years ago they found I had periosteal sarcoma on my L distal femur. They told me they might have to amputate my leg but fortunately they were able to perform limb sparing surgery. I have had 4 surgeries since then which included an arthroscopy to remove some painful hardware. I still have 8 screws and a rod left that X rays have shown need to be removed. Unfortunately after I had my arthroscopy and only a few weeks of physical therapy my leg was not doing any better. I am now able to totally manipulate my patella and it feels like it's going to come off. I am constantly uncomfortable and have knee pain (as well as pain from my hardware that's backing out) and it seems to me that my quality of life is not what it should be. I am only 21 years old and I feel like I'm 70. I complain all the time and am depressed. I used to be very active and fit and now I feel like I'm unhealthy and miserable. The last doctor I saw told me I needed a total knee replacement and my hardware removed but I neither have the income nor the insurance to cover it. I live in Texas and they told me that I could only get on Medicaid if I got pregnant which is not happening. I need some advice. Is there anyone out there that knows of a place I can go or a treatment that may help me that's not too costly? Anything that would help... I just want to be able to run again and have a normal life. I know theres alot of you out there in worse shape that I but I'm so young and would like to be happy...
[email protected]
niki

RSS

Does Creatine cause Hair Loss?
By singhnri123
more more Blogs RSS

5 days post op ACL surgery - strange horrible pain
By dadoody

Posted: Jul 16, 2018
I'm 12 years post op, but I remember that pain. I stretched out the percocet and vicodin for about 1 or 1.5 weeks I think. It prevented pain, but I couldn't poop for a week.  Maybe they can ...

more more Forums

Plyometrics
Basic Plyometric Exercises
This video shows basic plyometrics that are commonly used. Complete from ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper

Dr. Robert Klapper:

Preventing Knee Surgery
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy