< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Extreme, constant swelling/fluid
Created On: 03/05/2004 01:20 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

09/30/2006 11:03 PM

Author Icon
a

My daughter is 14 years old and her right knee gets huge with fluid. It is completely painless. There isn' t even a restricted range of motion. It happened the first time about 8 months ago. She fell on the inside of her knee on an artificial turf field while playing lacrosse. The fluid did not occur immediately. Doctors thought she may have partially dislocated her kneecap, but MRI results were perfect. Five or six weeks after the original injury, she was almost recovered, but then the fluid started. The first three times it was drained it filled back up within three days or got even bigger. A few more drainages followed along with several cortisone injections and it finally got better. However, this took almost 4 months. Now, she fell again on a turf field on the same spot on her knee and the fluid returned. The strange thing is that is didn't show any signs of swelling until three or four days later. Her knee felt strange before it swelled both times. It wasn't the normal pain associated with bruising. It was a strange tingly, stinging, burning sensation to the touch. This time, the pain went away the day the swelling occured. Cortisone seems to be working again, but we are worried about the risks involved. Her X-rays, MRI's, blood tests, and fluid cultures are all normal, except for a slightly elevated white blood cell count in the fluid. Three doctors have been unable to figure this out. The only idea so far was to keep draining it until it goes away, but this apparently doesn't work.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 12/15/2005 02:25 AM

Author Icon
SEL

I just recently posted, so if you want you can read about my story under the title: Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis (PVNS). Here's an excerpt from the website that I linked to in my post."Pigmented villonodular synovitis, or PVNS, is an uncommon but not necessarily rare disease that affects the internal lining membrane of the body's moving joints. Large joints are the most commonly afflicted, with the most frequent site being the knee. Joints where movement occurs between one or more bones always have a surrounding envelope of ligament tissue (capsule) that is lined internally by a thin, soft tissue membrane comprised of synovial cells.This synovial membrane secretes the lubricating (synovial) fluid that keeps friction between its gliding, cartilaginous surfaces of joints to an absolute minimum. A youthful, normally functioning synovial joint generates less friction than one smooth piece of ice gliding upon another!For unknown reasons, some or all of the synovial lining tissue of a joint occasionally undergoes a change and becomes diseased, wherein the joint lining tissue becomes thick and overgrown and accumulates a rust-colored, iron pigment known as hemosiderin. Strange, foamy cells and large (so-called "giant") cells with many nuclei also appear. The overgrowth of the joint lining tissue can occur diffusely throughout a joint by way of a generalized thickening of the entire lining membrane, or a localized area of synovial membrane can overgrow and form a discrete nodule (tissue mass) that remains attached to the rest of the internal joint lining by way of a stalk. While this disease process does involve abnormal tissue growth, it is uniformly benign and has not been known to metastasize as do malignant growths. PVNS can be considered a benign, "neoplastic" (tumor growth) process, with some varieties being more aggressive in their growth and thus harder to treat, and other varieties being less aggressive in their growth and thus easier to treat...The localized (nodular) form of PVNS is generally the least difficult to treat, as all of the abnormal tissue growth is located in a single, excisable mass within the joint. It is usually painless and often does not become noticed until the tissue nodule reaches a size that causes swelling or some type of internal joint impingement symptoms to the patient. Obvious mechanical problems such as joint locking and snapping can occasionally occur, simulating a torn cartilage or other structural problem. On other occasions, the patient may simply feel a slowly growing soft tissue mass within their knee joint and/or their knee may become distended with excess synovial fluid (so-called "water on the knee")..."Take care and good luck. I'm still trying to figure this out too.
 01/18/2005 10:23 AM

Author Icon
gknopp

Ive been dealing with this for over 25 years and there its a very complex issue. Mine started as swelling in the right knee and this kept the docs puzzeled for a couple years. The only way it was diagnosed as arthritis is when the other knee swelled. Ive been on anti-inflamitory for decades and reached a point of remission about 15 years ago. I was able to do most things including hiking, workouts etc. Then last Aug, it came back with a vengance and Ive been living on steriods since then. Of course that is like a cure, but when it wears off I can hardly walk again. My advise, is to keep trying different docs until you find one that has a read on your issue. Most will say "I dont know, it depends, Hmmm..." Its a very frustrating situation. Right now, I may consider replacement if they can not get this under control. It often seems trivial to those to dont have it, but swolen knees will shut down your life. You must get agressive and find out what is going on. It could be injury or disease.
 05/31/2004 07:28 AM

Author Icon
bill1

My wife’s knee started swelling on-and-off approximately 3 years ago in 2001. Doctors could not find anything wrong with her knees or any blood disorders. She stopped taking her diuretics for a period of time, but this did not help. She stopped drinking beer and wine which seem to solve the problem. She walked 4 miles recently and has not encountered any knee swelling for three months.
 03/05/2004 01:20 PM

Author Icon
Daipew

Greetings. I am 35 year old male. My left knee is filling with fluid non-stop. It gets huge with fluid. No pain at all, just restricted range of motion and problems walking due to fluid, but no pain. Been happening this bout for over 5 months. Happened to me about 7 years ago and lasted for 6 months, then went away. Have had many, many test (MRI, Scope, Blood work for various disease, etc.) EVERYTHING has been normal. Internal Med. Docotor thinks it is SOME TYPE of arthritis, but no idea what. Tried various meds, nothing works. Have had it drained and cortisone a few times. That usually holds for about a month, then comes right back. If anyone has experienced something like this and found/heard a solution, or any other input, please let me know!

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Plyometrics
Basic Plyometric Exercises
This video shows basic plyometrics that are commonly used. Complete from ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper

Dr. Robert Klapper:

Preventing Knee Surgery
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy
test