Knee1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: Wow ... It's really too bad
Created On: 06/29/2009 05:43 PM

04/19/2010 02:55 PM

Author Icon
hillaryhoffman

[p]Oted3, thanks for sharing your story! I just wanted to add to AI's suggestions for dealing with being injured and immobile. I remember reading a very inspiring story in Runner's World a few months ago about an athlete who got run over by a bus and endured a lengthy and arduous rehab process before going on to complete the New York Marathon. Although I don't think it would work for everyone, this athlete started to get over his depression about not being able to exercise by helping a friend train for an Ironman. I guess sometimes living vicariously really does work![/p][p]You can read the whole article[url=http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-297--13053-1-1X2X3X4X5X6X7X8X9X10X11X12-13,00.html] here[/url].[/p][p] [/p]
 12/01/2009 12:55 PM

Author Icon
AI

oted, thats great you've come back from that surgery to begin running. sounds like it took a lot of hard work. i was out of commission with a mild knee injury recently, and when i couldnt work out or exercise or anything, i focused on playing guitar. for me, a different hobby other than one that involved physical activity was great for me to get my mind off how i couldnt walk without it being physically taxing and painful. i could mentally be at ease by focusing on something else, and i also got much better at guitar. maybe this could work for others. if guitar isn't your thing, maybe reading, knitting, movie watching, piano or any other instrument, or any other hobby could help to ease the mind a little. best of luck.
 08/03/2009 04:31 PM

Author Icon
oted3

After microfracture surgery and being told I wouldn't run again I joined a gym on the advice of my PT. I walked in on my cruthces and began exercising on the stationary bike. It was ackward at first but I got used to it and it gave me something to do and was good for my rehab. I can tell you I started putting all my energy into my rehab, started doing more and more at the gym and after a year, I was able to start running again. It's been four years and I run 3 days a week, cycle, lift weights and go to spin classes and swim. Im not the runner I used to be but I have found something good in all my new activities. Good luck and don't give up.
 06/29/2009 05:43 PM

Author Icon
Lizn8r

I surfed to this website with the hope that I could get the answers to some questions I had and possibly commiserate with others that have gone or are going through what I have been dealing with in recovering/rehabbing from ACL reconstruction surgery. Unfortunately it hasn't quite worked out that way. It's too bad ... this forum has such great potential. I guess those that have recovered sufficiently from their knee problems don't wish to dwell on their past misery and no longer visit the forum. I will continue to visit in the hope that I can help some other "new" patient with some tidbits of information that I have learned or will learn as I progress through rehab. I only wish I could convince others to do the same.

RSS

Does Creatine cause Hair Loss?
By singhnri123
more more Blogs RSS

5 days post op ACL surgery - strange horrible pain
By dadoody

Posted: Jul 16, 2018
I'm 12 years post op, but I remember that pain. I stretched out the percocet and vicodin for about 1 or 1.5 weeks I think. It prevented pain, but I couldn't poop for a week.  Maybe they can ...

more more Forums

Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis Overview
Listen as Doctor Thomas P. Sculco, Surgeon-in-Chief at the Hospital for ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper

Dr. Robert Klapper:

Preventing Knee Surgery
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy