Knee1 Forumss

Forum

>
Topic Title: running barefoot
Created On: 02/12/2010 11:33 AM

02/26/2014 12:12 PM

Author Icon
andy.peloquin

<p>The barefoot running concept is still a source of much debate, but it is definitely a good option for many. I personally have only tried it a few times - to little effect - but I know people that run barefoot every day and feel great.</p>
<p>A lot of it has to do with the shape and structure of your foot. Some people just don't have the feet for barefoot running, as they have lower arches, insufficient support, flat feet, and the list goes on. For many, it's better to avoid barefoot running, as it can lead to serious structural problems - not just in the feet, but also the in knees.</p>
 07/08/2010 05:05 PM

Author Icon
cvwarner

How interesting! I recently saw a man running barefoot along the road, and was instinctively skeptical of his sanity - with all the shoe technology available to runners, who would choose to go natural? However, your post puts credibility behind his seemingly crazed workout and the newest fad for trendy runners: the "toe shoes." These glove-like shoes are formally known as Five Finger shoes and are marketed as the "Barefooting Alternative." Take a look! http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/. As an active runner, I have invested in cushioned and structured shoes to preserve my knees and joints from repetitive pounding on pavement. However, the rationale behind running barefoot (or almost barefoot) is quite logical. When I consider my own experience running track, the best spikes were always the lightest and most flexible - those that formed to my foot and delivered the barefoot feel. After all, less additional weight equals greater speed while running. So perhaps Five Finger shoes are more than a fad and the man running barefoot is just ahead of the times - we might all be barefooting along with him before we know it!
 02/12/2010 11:33 AM

Author Icon
avigneau1

[p]http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/12/barefoot.running/index.html[/p][p]This is a really interesting article from CNN that makes a case that barefoot running may cause less impact on your joints than running in thick soled sneakers. The argument is that running barefoot allows your form to naturally progress to landing on the balls of your feet rather than the heel. Hitting the balls of your feet may produce less of an impact in this way. Of course, this article does not encourage new runners to throw their shoes in the trash and run barefoot. Like breaking in a new pair of shoes, this is something that is meant to be broken in gradually and worked up over time. I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone who has run barefoot or has an opinion on running injuries and running form in general.[/p][br][p] [/p]

RSS

Does Creatine cause Hair Loss?
By singhnri123
more more Blogs RSS

5 days post op ACL surgery - strange horrible pain
By dadoody

Posted: Jul 16, 2018
I'm 12 years post op, but I remember that pain. I stretched out the percocet and vicodin for about 1 or 1.5 weeks I think. It prevented pain, but I couldn't poop for a week.  Maybe they can ...

more more Forums

Arthroscopic Knee Surgery
Arthroscopic Knee Surgery
Learn about the process of arthroscopic knee surgery in detail. This video, ...
more more Featured Videos

Dr. Robert Klapper

Dr. Robert Klapper:

Preventing Knee Surgery
  more
  more Heroes
  nominate a Hero
  Hero policy